Author Topic: Before the rains in Philippines  (Read 2932 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Before the rains in Philippines
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Likes on the road in PI
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Before the rains in Philippines
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
I want to ride on that road!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

CaMoTe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »
you notice the people standing by the side of the road, they are volunteers, mostly senior citizens serving as signal/flag "men"… they "manage" traffic on that highway, aptly called "bitukang manok", literally translated as "chicken intestines", due to the highway's curves and bends…

anyway, these signal "men" (i quote "men" because majority of them are old women or minor children), as mentioned earlier, manage traffic by signalling among themselves if its clear to let vehicles in their vicinity pass… vehicles going up have priority of course…

these signal keepers are particularly important in the bends such as the one depicted in the pic above because one needs to drive on the opposite (incoming) side of the road to manage the curve/bend…

what's interesting here is, as i mentioned earlier that they are volunteers, drivers of vehicles passing through would toss these signal keepers with coins in gratitude for their invaluable presence…  its always an experience going through that… most would go out of their way to make sure they have enough change to "toss" to all those volunteers…

btw, these volunteers are there all day and all night…  i think they have shifts though...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »

btw, these volunteers are there all day and all night…  i think they have shifts though...
CaMoTe Thanks for this information!
That explains the tent at the road side---- people are there for a lengthy time.
Cool 'tradition', and very cool road!
We are all concerned about the peoples of the Philippines. So many troubles for such a pretty country...........
Thanks again, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CaMoTe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:52 AM »
thanks so much boss!

i appreciate the concern… reading your exchanges with vivo in the other threads, it truly is heartwarming to get that from people like you whom we haven't even met…

it really is surreal over there on the several hard hit areas… i was just there yesterday with my group to deliver initial assistance and assess the situation over there…

preparations have been made as well as they can be made…  its just that you really can not win over mother nature….

latest estimate puts 10,000 people killed, 1800 of them now confirmed with hundreds still missing…

so sad over there… 

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »
How about Kennon road in the Phils... nice zigzag..., built in 1903 by Col. Lyman Kennon.. of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers...

CaMoTe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
kennon is nice…  but marcos highway going up to baguio is more picturesque… :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()