Author Topic: Went on the freeway yesterday! Woo Hoo!  (Read 1161 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Went on the freeway yesterday! Woo Hoo!
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
So I told myself I would never take my Like on the freeway when I bought it. I have only been able to get it up to about 58mph and didn't feel to comfortable going on the freeway. Well, the local scooter club is going on a ride next weekend and it looks like some of it may be cruising down the freeway. So yesterday I took my life into my own hands and ventured out onto the freeway for about 2 miles.
      The Like was smooth as silk and it surprised me by getting up to 62mph. This is a big accomplishment seeing that I'm 6ft and 275lbs. Have to say my scoot impresses me more and more the more I ride it. So glad I picked the Like over several other scooters I was looking at.
      Now if I could just get that damn seat redone. My poor aching ass!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Went on the freeway yesterday! Woo Hoo!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
So I told myself I would never take my Like on the freeway when I bought it. I have only been able to get it up to about 58mph and didn't feel to comfortable going on the freeway. Well, the local scooter club is going on a ride next weekend and it looks like some of it may be cruising down the freeway. So yesterday I took my life into my own hands and ventured out onto the freeway for about 2 miles.
      The Like was smooth as silk and it surprised me by getting up to 62mph. This is a big accomplishment seeing that I'm 6ft and 275lbs. Have to say my scoot impresses me more and more the more I ride it. So glad I picked the Like over several other scooters I was looking at.
      Now if I could just get that damn seat redone. My poor aching ass!
Great post!
OK, keep your eyes peeled for a LIKE seat on eBay.....or greg'slist or whatever it's called.
Take that seat and build on it with hard and soft foams until it feels good when you put it on the scoot for a test ride (covered in plastic wrap, or?) At 275 you can crush a lot of foam until you're touching OK again at a stop. Then buy a yard of SailRite 4-Way Stretch in your fav color, staple it on with stainless staples, put away your nice stock seat - bolt your comfy seat on and you will be a m a z e d! at how much fun and smoother riding your LIKE feels!
I cannot state enough what a difference my goofy looking seat makes in my enjoyment of the scooter. I could go @40 mins max on the stock seat. Now those times are just a memory....I never think about the seat when riding now. Never.
Do NOT short yourself on the thickness of foam you use-   you only want to do this once! Buy good stuff that won't collapse over time....use plenty of it. Test. Test. Test ride! When your keester is happy - you will be happy. Yes, it feels a bit weird to be sitting where you're now sitting - maybe back from the leg shield a bit - and to be sitting at the height you are now sitting on the scoot with the added foam - but you will quickly get used to it! When I moved back and up on my LIKE - it did feel strange....very comfortable, but strange. Safer too, to be away from the grips w/my knees. I'm 6'3" and your weight....Good hunting for that used seat.
Ride safe!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
Hey Stig, thanks for the great info. Fortunately I grabbed the seat that I think you may have posted about a few months ago from eBay. The one with the little hole in the front. I would love to have it redone professionally but with the prices I'm getting I may give it a shot myself.
     It's funny how many posts I have read that say they can go about 40 minutes on the stock seat and there done. That's about all I can do and I HAVE to get off that thing. I would like to sit a bit higher and farther back. I have short legs but my arms would be more comfortable about 2 inches farther back on the seat. I bought a trailer a couple days ago and I'm planing on taking it up north and a few other places so I can ride in the mountains. I'm dying to get outside of the city and go for a nice long ride.
     If there's anyone here in Phoenix or the valley that have had any upholstery work done please let me know where.
     Ride safe everyone, mscmkr

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »
I made it for about 25 miles today before my backside quit on me. The unfortunate thing was that I still had 8 miles before I got home. The whole way back, I was thinking, "I am going to read Stigs post again about the seat modification."
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 01:43:36 AM »
The good thing about the Phoenix freeways, is that people tend  to drive near the speed limit. The bad thing is, there are a lot of snowbirds that get lost and change lanes without looking.  Stay safe.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:47:03 AM by LidoCA »
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()