Author Topic: Passing the keys along  (Read 1180 times)

Dolemite

• View Profile
Passing the keys along
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
Well this weekend I passed the keys of my 2012 Like 200i to my dad... because I just bought a 2012 Burgman 400ABS brand spanking new for about $5,500!! I asked another dealer if they could match it as I would rather buy from them and they laughed and said they're going to jack the price up when I walked in the door... they did not. I had been wanting to get a second scooter capable of longer trips and bigger luggage capacity for a while. I originally wanted to keep the Like around for local trips and tearing up the streets in the city, but this way my dad or nephews can now join my girlfriend and I on rides and I was able to make a larger down payment, and I don't have to pay for insurance on two scooters. The best part about selling it to family is i'll still get to ride her on the weekends. I know she's going to a good home and will be cared for. I still plan on remaining active on this forum and look forward to what you guys do with your Likes.

Now as for how this Burgman compares to the Like... there is no comparison, they're two completely different scooters. The like embodies everything scooter. It's great for being stuck in traffic and quick trips to the store. I'd regularly push it to it's limits on weekend cruises 60+mph for a few hundred miles here and there. The Burgman eats up those miles and works about 1/2 as much as the Like when cruising at 60 and is OH SO COMFORTABLE. It's all the elements of a sedan crammed into a mid sized scooter frame. I was worried it would be to heavy coming from the Like but it's actually pretty easy to get around, park and put up on the center stand, it just takes a little extra heave-ho. The weight is LOW on the Burgman, below my knees and with the low seat height it makes it pretty easy handle at low speeds. I'm still breaking her in and taking it easy for the first 600-1000 miles, but I can't wait to open it up on the freeway.

Meet "Bacon Cheese Burgman"

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Passing the keys along
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »
Very nice ride Dolemite and a terrific deal. It will also lengthen the life of the Like since it won't be at the limit all the time.  :D
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
  Nice looking scoot. Ride safe and good luck with it!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable.

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
I hope you find the Burgman forum as friendly. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Just ribbing you Dolemite. Nice maxi-scooter. You got a oh-so sweet deal given the popularity of the Burgman. Nice job! What do you think of the ABS? It must be a little unnerving at first to apply full pressure to the front brake and find it doesn't lockup. Keep us posted on your new ride.  8)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
That is quite a scooter!
I cannot get over how big these maxi scoots are on the floor of my dealer. They look 8' long....and never understood how a passenger could feel comfortable sitting 10"-12" above the drivers head on these big scoots and on sport bikes. Normal old bikes and still on many scooters the passenger sits level with the driver - which has got to be a safer feeling for both.

As far as servicing costs, parts availability, and build quality - and you are looking at the Mercedes/Cadillac class of maxi scoots one has to pick from either the Silverwing, Burgman or Majesty  according to the guys I talk to at my dealers. There are other makes sold here in the States - but they tell me that unless you are made of $$ and are very patient at waiting for parts - you need to stay with one of the 3 Japanese scoots.
Kymco and SYM are still considered in the Buick range.....nice but not a Caddy or Bimmer.

All this makes for good winter eve reading.. on forums.
Well, Dolemite - that is quite a scoot - ride safe and keep in touch back here.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Stig, the purpose of the raised passenger seat is to give the passenger an equal view of what the driver sees, rather than looking at the DOT sticker on the back of the driver's helmet. I picked up my nephew from school on the way back from the dealership when I got it, he's 15 and rides dirt bikes. He said the seat was comfortable and with the sturdy passenger grips he said he felt safe, I do intend to get a sissy bar/luggage rack or large top box at some point. Once I read up on the design changes made to make the 07+ Burgmans that made them easier to work on with less frequent service intervals, that pretty much sealed the deal. Oil changes every 3.5k miles. I don't even have to check the valves till 14k. First service is basically an oil change. Gear oil doesn't get changed till 7.5k. Basically "keep it clean".

She is a big mamajama, but the more I ride her the more scooterish/smaller she feels. An my footlong subway sandwich yesterday fit nicely in the glovebox, almost as if it was made for it.

That last sentence sounded very R rated.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
Stig, the purpose of the raised passenger seat is to give the passenger an equal view of what the driver sees, rather than looking at the DOT sticker on the back of the driver's helmet. I picked up my nephew from school on the way back from the dealership when I got it, he's 15 and rides dirt bikes. He said the seat was comfortable and with the sturdy passenger grips he said he felt safe, I do intend to get a sissy bar/luggage rack or large top box at some point. Once I read up on the design changes made to make the 07+ Burgmans that made them easier to work on with less frequent service intervals, that pretty much sealed the deal. Oil changes every 3.5k miles. I don't even have to check the valves till 14k. First service is basically an oil change. Gear oil doesn't get changed till 7.5k. Basically "keep it clean".

She is a big mamajama, but the more I ride her the more scooterish/smaller she feels. An my footlong subway sandwich yesterday fit nicely in the glovebox, almost as if it was made for it.

That last sentence sounded very R rated.
Thanks for the info !
Man, that would make me crazy - can't change the oil for 3500 miles!
Nope - I still think I''d rather have my passenger down at my level---- your wife could nibble on your ear at stop lights.....rather than having her chest up on your shoulders. It worked this way just fine for decades!
Standing in the bed of an F-150 offers good visibility,too.....and looks just about as safe.
(I cringe every time I see a young gal in her shorts perched way up there on those sport bikes.....don't see it on maxi scoots since there aren't any around here.)
Just my 2 centimes.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()