Author Topic: Two Oil Drain PLugs?  (Read 1016 times)

shalbern

• View Profile
Two Oil Drain PLugs?
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Hi,

I read on another forum that in order to drain all the out of my people 250 one had to remove both the side and the bottom drain plug (the one holding the screen) because they drain separate parts of the engine.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance

blue

• View Profile
Re: Two Oil Drain PLugs?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:32 PM »
yes its true but you dont realy have to do it every change. I have the same on my agilty and do my both every other oil change. but if you use seafoam or other stuff its best to do both all the time.

oreilly907

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
I'm fairly sure the small drain is for convenience. When you remove it the oil flows out in a stream. After that drains there is only a small amount of oil that drains when you pull the larger filter plug. I assume it would be quite messy to pull the large plug with a full crankcase. I do small, then large on my people 250 and it's quite simple. My $0.02, best of luck.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »
Yes, you need to do open both.  Open the side plug first and let it drain until it just drips.
Open the bottom one next.  There will still be oil here, so put a pan under it.
Have a good look at the plug/strainer assembly as you don't want to put it back wrong.
Clean the strainer.
This is the only thing that filters the oil in your engine!  Did you notice that there is no oil filter per say?
Change your oil often as I doubt that the little strainer is doing all that much to keep your oil clean.
Cheers

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
I highly recommend installing a magnetic drain plug to catch metal particles since there is no filter.  I found a kit for my Super 8 that has mag plugs for both oil plugs and the final drive.  So far I haven't found much on any of the plugs but it's good for peace of mind.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »
Plus, there's the fact that you're probably more likely to have bits of aluminum in there than steel, so given that... hey!  Those green light triggers really work!  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()