Author Topic: Idle Adjust  (Read 2122 times)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Idle Adjust
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:57:03 AM »
Morning! (For me, anyway)

I  just wanted to pick your collective brains. The idle is still a little too high on my Like, but the throttle stop screw is as far back as possible and has no more adjustment.

Is there somewhere else on the FI that allows me to adjust idle?

Thanks for your help!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Adjust
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »
I don't think so.
What is your idle speed ....assuming you've installed a tach?
Or, once warmed up, does your tire turn at a speed greater than a slow creep on the center stand ?
My idle increased slightly with the NGK Iridium plug....but is very reassuring when sitting in heavy traffic at a light!
Stig
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:18:53 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:56 PM »
"The engine idle speed on the fuel injection system of the Like 200i is pre-set at the factory, and is not adjustable."

"Idle speed 1700rpm +/- 100"
From the cyclepedia.com manual
I almost never see the idle below 1650, or above 1850.
Stig
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:31:11 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
Is it possible that the throttle has not enough slack and is holding the cable slightly open?
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Hi Big Blue,

Certainly worth a look.

Stig,

Thanks - I thought that might be the case. It has symptoms I'd usually associate with the tickover being too high - vibration when rear brake is pulled in at idle, which usually means that the tickover is too high and the clutch is engaging a touch. If it's not tickover related, perhaps I need to have a look at the clutch end of things instead!

Appreciate the replies.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
I'm pretty certain all scoots vibrate when rear brake applied at a stop light. All mine did, others report the same.
Something about the vibes of engine get pssed through to frame when brake is squeezed. ...or vice versa. It is why I  hold front brake at a light. Smoother.
All 4 of my scoots did the same thing, nothing wrong with their clutch, idle or CVT.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
I'm pretty certain all scoots vibrate when rear brake applied at a stop light. All mine did, others report the same.
Something about the vibes of engine get pssed through to frame when brake is squeezed. ...or vice versa. It is why I  hold front brake at a light. Smoother.
All 4 of my scoots did the same thing, nothing wrong with their clutch, idle or CVT.
Stig
Every scooter I had ridden does the same, even the vespas from work.  On my 125 Like I thought the idle was at a normal set range but I kept having stalling issues when it was cold and as soon as I increased the idle a fraction that problem stopped.  I like what Stig said, if your rear wheel isn't spinning a lot when on the center stand then I would not let it bother me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »
Every scooter I had ridden does the same, even the vespas from work.  On my 125 Like I thought the idle was at a normal set range but I kept having stalling issues when it was cold and as soon as I increased the idle a fraction that problem stopped.  I like what Stig said, if your rear wheel isn't spinning a lot when on the center stand then I would not let it bother me.
Paul, when I  installed an Iridium NGK it strengthened the idle just the right amount to give me a reassuring idle when surrounded by impatient and inattentive young women in Hummers and Escalades.
You stall at a light in front of one of those gals - they might not notice you till husband asks, "Say babe, what's with the helmet imbedded in the grill?"
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
OK, I'm worrying too much then. I know there should be some vibration, but in the past I've nudged the idle down (on carb scooters) and the clutch engagement has much improved. If there's no more adjustment, I'll just chalk it down to a quirk!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()