Author Topic: Replacing Torque Springs  (Read 930 times)

Aero

• View Profile
Replacing Torque Springs
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Hello.

Thanks for a great forum. I have learnt a lot by reading here. Still have a question tough :-)

Can someone please tell me how to replace the torque springs ? I have read on the forum that changing the spring to 1000 rpm can help in "uphill performance". This is just what I need, but I am not able to figure out how to open the clutch. Do I need a special tool to open the clutch / "spring holder" ? Is this something I can buy here: http://www.exportstrength.com/index.php?cPath=22_53

Or maybe you could recommend some other sites ? I am happy for all advice.

Thanks

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Torque Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
Welcome aero!!
A impact wrench will remove the clutch bell nut. The big nut ON the clutch. If you have access to a vise, Instal the t.d upside down in the vise and tighten the vise on the nut itself. Some can turn by hand, others will need a bit of help from a big pair of channel locks on the outer edge of the pulley. Be carefull not to let the spring fly up toward you....
When you install it back, use your feet or knees(i use my knees) to hold the clutch down to install the nut back on and then place back in the vise to give the final tightening.....
Hope this helps you... Keep us posted... ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

Portland Steve

• View Profile
Re: Replacing Torque Springs
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:01:52 AM »
I don't have a vice, so I used a couple of clamps and clamped the sucker to a post.
I also don't have a large enough wrench for the huge nut, so I used a large adjustable pair of pliers.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
I use an impact wrench to get the clutch assembly off and on the bike.  If you want to be correct, get a clutch holder tool and a torque wrench.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()