Author Topic: 2003 ZX 50 CVT Problem I think Won't go Engine runs  (Read 1573 times)

usnapop

• View Profile
2003 ZX 50 CVT Problem I think Won't go Engine runs
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
I have Kymco 2003 ZX 50. I derestricted it 3 years ago (CDI and new boss). It lost speed and just quit moving while my wife was driving it.  Engine continued to run.  Its hard starting now.  Have to use kick start while on center stand. Rear wheel is not turning when using throttle. Makes whiring noise. Took off CVT cover. Belt looks good. Did not take off variator to look at it, but visually everything looks good with variator. Thinking its a clutch problem.  Can I run engine with belt off to isolate problem in CVT to Variator or clutch?

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Re: 2003 ZX 50 CVT Problem I think Won't go Engine runs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
I have Kymco 2003 ZX 50. I derestricted it 3 years ago (CDI and new boss). It lost speed and just quit moving while my wife was driving it.  Engine continued to run.  Its hard starting now.  Have to use kick start while on center stand. Rear wheel is not turning when using throttle. Makes whiring noise. Took off CVT cover. Belt looks good. Did not take off variator to look at it, but visually everything looks good with variator. Thinking its a clutch problem.  Can I run engine with belt off to isolate problem in CVT to Variator or clutch?
Yes you can.. But of course with the kymco you will need to reinstall the cvt cover to crank. They aren't like a minarelli, where you can start w/o the cover...
Personally, if you take the belt off, then you should know the problem at that point... The rollers could be "stuck"/turned sideways,etc. or the clutch could have exploded and locked the rear wheel... Keep us posted.(you may want to start a thread in the zx board for your zx, i almosted missed this in the s9 board)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

usnapop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
Ordered new clutch and replaced. No help! There is a whiring and grinding noise in rear wheel area of bike. Took clutch off and rear spline moves fine when spinning by hand. No gear noise at at all when spinning wheel by hand.  I think I'm going to run engine with belt not hooked up to see if its the engine or rear wheel making grinding noise.. I am afraid to run bike with clutch/variator cover off because of starter and kick start gears might get locked up on flywheel when engine is running. Any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
re: oko carb 'n bits
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
When you turn the clutch bell, or shaft if you have thd clutch off, does the wheel turn? If not, then I would expect the problem to be in the gear box.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

usnapop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Yes the wheel and spline shaft  due turn when clutch is off.  Grinding noise does seem to be coming from rear wheel area when apply throttle. When given throttle rear wheel turns very very slowy. Just before this problem began I heard like loose part noise in rear wheel area when idling, Right after that bike slowed down and that was it!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()