Author Topic: New ZX50 owner with a few questions  (Read 8724 times)

pcslayer

• View Profile
Re: New ZX50 owner with a few questions
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
I couldn't find the K&N filter, so will this Air Filter fit my stock carb?

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/kymco/kymco-zx-50-2t-ac/uni-filter-air-filter.html

I THINK but am not sure that the 38mm is the diameter of the part that connects to the carb?

I assume UNI is just as good as K&N?

Also, will this main jet work?

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/kymco/kymco-zx-50-2t-ac/keihin-round-main-jet-99101-393.html

Thanks!
2005 Kymco ZX50

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
I am not sure about the air filter but, I think mine was 28mm, not 38, I could be wrong on that. That jet is not the same as the one in the carb I had. Mine didn't have the head on it, the whole jet screwed up into the thread. Mine was a 2007 model and did not have an adjustable needle either, I don't know if your carb is the same as the one I had. Zombie's carb had an adjustable needle, which is the same as the manual. I don't know when, but at some point they seemed to change the carbs.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
I couldn't find the K&N filter, so will this Air Filter fit my stock carb?

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/kymco/kymco-zx-50-2t-ac/uni-filter-air-filter.html

I THINK but am not sure that the 38mm is the diameter of the part that connects to the carb?

I assume UNI is just as good as K&N?

Also, will this main jet work?

http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters/kymco/kymco-zx-50-2t-ac/keihin-round-main-jet-99101-393.html

Thanks!

That filter will probably be a bit big but you can remove the tube from the oem box and adapt together. That way it also directs the filter away from the wheel a little bit.

Alot of ppl use the uni filter, i personally havent tried one yet....

Yeah, that looks like the right jet you picked out...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

pcslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Ahh! OK, I understand now. Yeah mine is 28mm as well. I ordered this filter:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-2540
Will report back once I have this and rejetted.

Hey bat, you wrote a few replys back:

"Stiffer springs in the cvt... 1000 main....1500 clutch springs if not 2000".

I am not sure I don't understand. Am I supposed to try the different strength spring to see which one is better (as I am doing with the roller weights)? Or should I just go with the stiffer ones (2000)? Or?
2005 Kymco ZX50

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
I do apologize for my tardiness....
Yeah, i would go for a 1000 main/contra and some 15000 clutch springs, that should be ok for your ride...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

pcslayer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
OK, so finally I got my bike properly jetted, with the correct springs and the right roller weights. I am still stuck at 44mph top speed (GPS-verified). In summary this is what I've done so far from stock:

- CDI & Variator derestriction. This alone got me up to 42.5mph.

Then I did all of the following:
- 130/70-12 rear Michelin Bopper tire.
- Tecnigas Next R exhaust.
- K&N Pod Filter.
- Rejet from #90 to #110.
- New spark plug.
- 1000 RPM main spring.
- 1500 RPM clutch springs.
- 7.5g roller weights.
All of this just got me an extra 1.5mph and I think most of it came from the tire. F-ing ridiculous!

The only positive is that I learned some mechanics along the way.

I checked the wheel ratio which thebatman had asked me to do. The clutch turned a total of about 10.6 times for one full rear tire turn. I don't know how this helps in the diagnosis. You talked about some ZX's having different gear ratios.

So anyway, I don't want to keep my bike like this. I am either going to get rid of it and get a faster one OR put a BBK on it. I just got my Motorcycle endorsement so that's not an issue anymore. Money is no longer an issue either as I sold another bike that I had.

So here's what is going to sway me one way or the other and your insight is much appreciated:

1) Is this BBK thing as simple as buying a kit/new-carb/air-filter (I already have the pipe), then bolt it all on, do some plug chops and then I'm done? Or is there a whole lot more invloved? If someone can point me to some instructions that would be nice.

2) I am also worried that I get all the work done and still no gain. I've read that this has happened to some people and so far that's what I've encountered. Any comments?

3) It looks from what I have read elsewhere that after putting in a BBK reliability goes way down and that you should expect to be stranded, so if this is going to be a common occurance, I'd rather pass. I'm all for learning to work on my bike but I really mostly want to ride.

Thank you!
2005 Kymco ZX50

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
44 Gps, your speedo shows around 50? That is about right. A bbk will get you a few more, but you will get there quicker. I would ditch the cdi as well

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
Some of the forum members here really enjoy the challenge of tuning their scooters for maximum performance . Most of them have other means of transportation as well , so the tuning is a sort of hobby for them . They are or have become good mechanics in the process and take pride in their accomplishments . There will surely be "newbies" that will also come along and be bitten by the modding bug . If this is an activity you enjoy it can provide great satisfaction and pride . That being said , if you just want a nice ride and are not inclined to many hours of mechanical work and considerable additional expense you will undoubtably be better off buying a machine that suits your needs and leaving it stock . When your skills increase and you need more performance you can sell your stock machine and move to a more suitable ride . Good luck .

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
^^^SO TRUE^^^, I only had the zx50 for Mrs. Sid to learn to ride, once she was on the Kawasaki I got the scooter to run to work on
as I had lost my Kawasaki. The mods started as I was trying to get it to start when warm. I went through all sorts of mods but, it wasn't until I replaced the cdi that the warm starting problem was solved. Once I started with the mods I enjoyed it, good fun with some frustration thrown in. I have just bought a Sym VS125 specifically for running to work and back. I stated "no mods other than roller weights". That was until I got a 2011 VS150 with only 1,755 kilometres on the dial. This one was in an accident and considered a write off. That engine will be going into my transport one. I don't really consider it to be a mod as such as it is the exact same engine, except for the larger cylinder, it is original Sym, straight swap, no hassle. With the wrecked one, I don't think it will be too hard to get it back to roadworthy, so i am chasing some parts to do this and if it passes all legal requirements, then I will mod it to buggery.
Beware, modding is addictive... ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()