Author Topic: ??????? im a little worried.  (Read 1969 times)

02 zx 50 s.f.

• View Profile
??????? im a little worried.
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
02 zx 50 s.f. as you can assume. stock only thing done is the cdi is de restricted but i was rideing it all was normal until it started to rain it started to act funny.It cut out until i got to about 5mph then just kept bogging out. I let it sit a little better but now when i get to 40 it starts to act up it sounds choppy it used to go 50 no problem and run strong i undid the de restriction and same thang could it be water in the fule system? It did rain allot the following day to but it sat all day in the dry and still the same. Or is the cdi shot, bad plug? The only thang that gets me is it runs just as good from 0 to 40ish  but right at then is when acts up. Maybe out of tune carb.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: ??????? im a little worried.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
G'day mate, it does sound electrical but, as you said it was bogging, I would be cleaning the air filter first, if it is dirty to the point of reducing air flow, the engine will be running rich.
Probably best to start with your spark plug, check your plug cap and lead. If you have the service manual you will find the test values for the coil, cdi and stator so you will be able to check them with a meter. Did this happen soon after the cdi derestriction?
With shorting the rev limiter I have been told it can cause problems, though I didn't have any and other members have not had any problems that I am aware of. There is one member who was having no end of trouble with cdi's who ended up buying a custom tuned one from Sutai. When I first bought my scooter it was dificult to start after sitting for ten or twenty minutes when warm, this is what brought me to this forum. After going through various trials and errors I replaced the cdi and now starting is not a problem.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

02 zx 50 s.f.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

What's up we have talked before but I havent been on in a while. But anyways would the plug let it run good until it got to a cretin mph? And do you have a stock cdi on hand?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »
No, I doubt the plug would act that way. Does it run ok at high revs before you get to the higher speed? Or does it carry on at high revs? I do still have my stock cdi in the shed.

02 zx 50 s.f.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
Both just reving it or riding? Awesome is it derestrictable?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
Yes, it is derestrictable, as with all the stock ones (I think) just bridge the light green and dark green wires.
Another thought, if your fuel filter is dirty, not allowing enough fuel through that will cause it to cut out briefly at high revs giving a choppy sort of symptom.

02 zx 50 s.f.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »
Ill check.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »
How did you go? Did you get it sorted?

02 zx 50 s.f.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
Yeah it was the cdi I first just put a wire splice worked awesome. But it fell off so I hard wired it all was good then it was runin funny that is when I made that post but I put all the cdi wires back stock and still no better so I left the wires and just bridged it with wire so it is like the splice but hard wired to. and now it is normal it is almost like the cdi had a memory .         By the way if you would like my phone num I'll give it to you I live down the street from a kymco dealer I could get parts for you at a better price than you are paying we also have scooter / motorcycle junckyard that has some kymco but I'm beau weird name I know. Like Bo but the French way is beau.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()