Author Topic: Kymco ZX50, 82cc Upgrade  (Read 13988 times)

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Kymco ZX50, 82cc Upgrade
« on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:53 AM »
G'Day All, I have a Kymco ZX50, it was having starting problems pretty much since we bought it in January
of 2009. It was built in September of 2007, so it was still quite new. When my wife had finished with it I was
using it but it was quite slow. While looking on the interweb I found this forum and was really inspired by the
help, advice and assistance from the people on here. It was starting to look like the engine was getting tired
so a new cylinder kit was looking like a possible solution. Well, cylinder kits, there are a lot more out there
 than I would have imagined. Most people on this forum swear by brands such as malossi and polini but as I
don't have a lot of money to spend I was looking for more affordable options. I found a cylinder kit on
ebaymotors.com for $135 with free shipping. I bought one. When I installed it on to the scooter it over heated
within about 10 minutes seizing the piston. I added 100ml. two stroke oil to the fuel tank to compensate
for the larger cylinder. It still seized. I tried to drill out the jet in the original carb but with the stock airbox was
no good, it would not run properly. By this time I was quite concerned about destroying the cylinder so I
waited until the new exhaust and 24mm OKO carb arrived. After fitting these the improvement was massive.
Still running lean, the OKO carb had a #107 main jet. Finding out that these carbs use a Keihin type jet I went
to my local bike shop and found that they have a fair range of them, things were starting to look up. I tried a
#120 main jet but still not quite right, after trying 125 and a 130 I jumped to a 140, too far, so went back to a
#135 but that was a bit too big, so tried a 132 which was pretty close. I am currently using the #130 with the
carb needle at the second from lowest setting. Though not perfect, the  scoot is running pretty damn good now.
I have also changed the pilot jet from a 45 to a 48 (the next one up at the local shop).
I have also replaced the front variator with a race variator from scooter assassins, less than $40 delivered
the change is just incredible, smoother power delivery and better acceleration, now the speedo needle goes off
the dial and half way through the fuel gauge. Before I started all this the scooter would do between 70~75 kmh
as indicated on the speedo, after adding the bridge to the C.D.I to cancel the rev limiter it would go to just on
80kmh, but the poor thing would be screaming. With the larger cylinder it revs out freely and doesn't sound like
it is overdoing it.
None of this would be possible for me without the help and encouragement I received from the people on this
forum, in particular zombie and Shaka, to these people I am truly grateful.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Kymco ZX50, 82cc Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:11:46 AM »
Nice write-up!  I'm really exited about your scoot!  It has been a pleasure offering advice and even better for the positive results!  Thanks for the props!  It has been interesting to watch the same scoot with different mods come to life! Ride On!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:35:23 AM »
And ride on we shall :)
Thank you all very much. There will be more to go yet.

gambler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »
great read ! especially the bit about the needle setting and jetting sizes , as i've just installed the cyl kit and am awaiting the new carb kit , 'cause the thirsty bugger just out drank the standard carb on the first run. looks like a quarter throttle run to work this week haha. So far , ive got the zx50 aka bug vibe , with the 82cc kit , race variator , cant remember the weight sizes, race clutch and springs and the limiter bypass (on a switch so the mrs doesnt over do it ) haha. the power and acceleration so far is GREAT! never thought i'd be wheelstanding the zx yewwwww. So yeah just gotta get this starvation business sorted and we're away !

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »
Be careful if you are running the stock carb and exhaust. I very nearly destroyed my setup with not enough fuel/oil and not getting the gas out fast enough.

customx22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
hey if you want the best of best bore kit get the polini corsa 72cc kit along with so 6.9 or 7.1 gear you will be doing over 75mph.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
Yeah, I would like to change the final gearing, but still have some other bits to do first. 75mph, a bit scary on one of these. could be fun to try though. :-)

gambler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:14 AM »
haha well i got the kit fitted , got the new oko carb and well, i should have waited till i got the jetting sorted 'cause she had a nice little lean out at about 100km/hr ...piston and rings are fried but the bore will be fine after a quick hone. so now i'm waiting on my new piston to arrive ...unless any of you would happen to know the appropriate wiesco or vertex piston replacement part no. ?

gotta love forums , thanks for all the help !

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 05:24:04 AM »
Good to hear from another ZX50 rider!  Too bad about the piston though!  I'm not sure of any cross reference pistons.  What kit are you using?  Is it the same as Sid's?  I think we can use all the info we can around here about kitting these ZX's! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
I wish I did Know of a replacement part #. They would be 1/2 the price.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
WOW ! ! ! and I'm just learning how to change a freaking TIRE! WELL... when the time comes when I need a new top end I'll look into a larger one.

Assuming a larger rod would come with the top end, Are you guys upgrading the lower end also?

How fast are you guys clocking on a GPS? Mine does about 42mph with the basic mods. (removed boss from the variator & cut the green wire)

Thats just fine with me for now. If anything I'll take more power. 50mph is fast enough on a 12" tire!

NEVERMIND i FDOUND THE HOW FAST SHOULD MY SCOOT GO THREAD !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:41:22 PM by robmsz »
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
WOW ! ! ! and I'm just learning how to change a freaking TIRE! WELL... when the time comes when I need a new top end I'll look into a larger one.

Assuming a larger rod would come with the top end, Are you guys upgrading the lower end also?

How fast are you guys clocking on a GPS? Mine does about 42mph with the basic mods. (removed boss from the variator & cut the green wire)

Thats just fine with me for now. If anything I'll take more power. 50mph is fast enough on a 12" tire!

NEVERMIND i FDOUND THE HOW FAST SHOULD MY SCOOT GO THREAD !

...these guys got their super fevers screamin'....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
The Kymco crank/con rod is as strong as ANYTHING you can get after-market. There is no need to swap those parts out unless you are planning a single ring 13'000 rpm full race kit. Then I would have to bow down, and say the super fever is not the best choice for that. It's not the engine that lacks but rather the frame. Too much flex for a 70 mph street scoot. The earliest zx/sup... had a 10mm wrist pin set up, and if you have one of those then I would suggest simply replacing the crank w/ am 04 or newer
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

robmsz

• Keepem poppin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
mine is a 2005 so i guess the bottom end is OK.
‘04 zx50 Stock

‘’07 Kawasaki, EN 500

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()