Author Topic: Poor power from ZX50  (Read 7435 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Poor power from ZX50
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
Follow shaka's advice to clean the screen, and DO NOT use Chem Dip for this. It will destroy the diaphragm. Once you clean it just test it for flow. Glad to here you found your main trouble. I assume by upside down you mean 180 degrees turned? I also use an inline fuel filter from Ace Hardware. $1.25 each, and I relpace it about once a month. W/ your scoot sitting there is most certianly junk (rust) in there. I have used Hydrocloric acid to clean rusted tanks w/ good results. You can get a gallon for about 5 bucks at any good hardware store. It is usually sold as brick wash. If you deceide  to try it be carefull. 1 minute will burn the rust 2 will burn the tank!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

benhogan73

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Nothing wrong with the petcock that I could tell.  Just needed some gas in the tank.  I now see a full tube of fuel when vacuum is applied.  That is the good news.

The bad news is that the motor will no longer run at all.  Even starter fluid has no effect.  I have pulled and cleaned the plug.  I will try again when I get back to the garage.  Maybe it was just flooded.

Tim

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
For the couple of bucks they cost, I would pick up 2-3 new spark plugs. Cleaning the tip doesn't work too well. By the time you get it running well you will most likely go thru 1-2 of them, and you should ALWAYS have a spare.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

benhogan73

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
Final post.  I gave up on the scooter and sold it for $100 to a mechanic.  With a new grandbaby and other things going on, I just don't have time to work on it.  He got it running.  The latest issue was a glob of gasket cement interfering with the operation of the reed valve.  He cleaned that off and it started right up.  No carb problem at all.  Top speed with the 70 cc cylinder was over 50 mph.  He sold it for $600 after painting everything.  Good for him and thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas.  I learned LOTS about scooters and feel very confident I could rebuild an engine if the need ever arises.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
Aw! Ben... You could have offered it here. Well Thanks for the thanks.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 04:39:02 AM »
Lucky machanic.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()