Author Topic: Gas stabilizer for scooter storage: for what duration of non-use is it required?  (Read 1343 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
In other words, what's the maximum number of weeks or months that one can leave a scooter unused? What are the long-term risks to (a) battery and (b) scooter generally for leaving it unused for, say, 1 month?
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
For one month I would put some Seafoam in the tank and put it on a battery trickle charger. Make sure you run it to get the Seafoam circulated through the scooter. That should do the trick.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

eamartin

• View Profile
I agree with Mr. Paul on both counts.  I use a smart charger to keep the battery in good shape.  And in 1 month, ethanol fuel can degrade and cause problems.  I add stabilizer in the recommended ratio, go for a spin, turn my fuel valve to the "off" position and let the bike idle until it stops running (no more fuel in the carb bowl).  On a bike without a conventional petcock (no "off" position) about all you can do is ride the bike until you are confident that the stabilized fuel has circulated throughout the fuel system.   

AaronPDX

• View Profile
Thanks Mr Paul and eamartin! I will get some Seafoam. 

I have no idea if my GV250 has an accessible fuel valve -- any advice on that? So I'm inclined to just go on a mile or so cold ride to let it mix through. Sound adequate?
People 150 (sold)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile

PUT THE SEAFOAM IN FIRST , and fill up the tank, that will mix the gas up, then go for a ride for 15 Min. , 

AaronPDX

• View Profile
Oy, good idea and thanks de dee, but I just filled it with gas before I saw your post! I have the Seafoam now but haven't added it yet...
People 150 (sold)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
  OK ride for a 1/2 hour ,. 

beermak

• View Profile
I believe you wont be able to close the fuel petcock. Empty the carb bowl with the screw!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()