Author Topic: Centre wake-up strip  (Read 582 times)

scrollderf

• View Profile
Centre wake-up strip
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:52 AM »
Is there a common name for the rippled strips along the centre of the road or the edge at the shoulder that are used to wake up an errant driver? Serious question though: Have any of you been scarred by riding across one of these strips? I was moving about 55 mph behind a slower car and went across one of these strips in the centre of the road at a very small angle. That almost sent the mc into a wobble. By that time I was going about 60 mph. Going back into my lane at about 65 mph resulted in much the same sensation, except I was prepared for it. I never did pass another vehicle today when that strip was present, instead held behind. I have gone over those strips when moving to the shoulder, but at much lower speed to pull over to stop. My mc today is my GTI 300, so is that part of the problem? Or is this a concern of all mc with smaller, narrower wheels. Or is it just the way I handled the strip? The only solution I can think of is to some-how go across the strip at a larger angle, but that may be difficult at highway speeds.
Despite that, I had a lovely 180 mile ride in the 90oF desert today. Even with full gear, the ride was comfortable with mesh. Before the ride I went home and changed from shorts and T-shirt to full gear. Now I am glad I did with that scare at highway speed.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Centre wake-up strip
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:26:10 AM »
Sounds like these. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_strip#Types Never had the pleasure on any of my bikes but I can see how that would be.

Just bought a used Aprilia Atlantic 500. Have any spares? :)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:47:16 AM »
Thanks for the Wikipedia reference. Yes that is the proper name for them. There is mention of cyclists having problems with them, but no mention of motorcycles having problems. Am I the only one to have this problem? I wonder if there is a colloquial name like they have for road snakes or road alligators? Also to MJR, I sold my Aprillia Atlantic 500 a few years ago for my DT300. I was having electrical problems that I spend a lot of time and money on (ended up being a hidden short in the loom below the right floorboard) and it was too heavy. It was basically a quality machine and I hope you enjoy it. Powerful and comfortable. I have not regretted getting the DT300 and also a GTI300 for my two homes (winter and summer).
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:09:10 AM »
Also to MJR, I sold my Aprillia Atlantic 500 a few years ago for my DT300. I was having electrical problems that I spend a lot of time and money on (ended up being a hidden short in the loom below the right floorboard) and it was too heavy. It was basically a quality machine and I hope you enjoy it. Powerful and comfortable. I have not regretted getting the DT300 and also a GTI300 for my two homes (winter and summer).

The gentleman I bought it from felt it was too heavy for him and was thinking of getting something around that 300 cc size also. For myself it's the lightest bike i have at the moment since the Burgman 650's (550 lbs) and the MyRoad 700i (600 lbs) are quite a bit heavier. Glad your happy with the pair of bikes they look very nice.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
The rumble strips, as we call them in Texas are generally not a problem, just disconcerting. Running at them at an angle makes no difference. The momentary wobble is not to be feared as it appears you recovered ok from yours. However edge traps from uneven surfaces of the road, especially with new asphalt will take you down in a heart beat and painted stuff at intersections is slippery when wet. No doubt, varying road conditions takes a real focus in keeping the shiny side up.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
I have never had any problems with the rumble strips either. We don't have then in the center here in Tennessee, but I've hit them pretty fast getting off onto the shoulder to make a right turn. (a good tactic for avoiding being hit from behind) What I do find rather unnerving is when they have chewed up the asphalt, in preparation for laying new asphalt. That leaves a lot of groves that are not straight.
The tires find a grove they like and from that point on you're just sort of along for the ride. The bike follows the grove. I've never gone down from that, mainly because I can see it coming and slow down, but it sure feels weird. Talk about a wobble---

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()