Author Topic: Early bird (but not as early as Stig!)  (Read 878 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Early bird (but not as early as Stig!)
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
Not much open in town this early on a Sunday morning....

Might as well go to church (not really!)....but that was closed too.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Early bird (but not as early as Stig!)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
NO Dunkin Donuts ?!
What if you need to find a Policeman?
(....sitting in Tampa airport, trying not to listen to all my seatmates bladder surgeries)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
Nice pictures! Looks cold...brrr! Stig, I hear you. I cannot believe some of these old folks have nothing in their lives to talk about! We have so many around here that seem to live at the Doctor's office. And seem to try to get surgery for something. Can't get any of 'em interested in scooters! Tractors, yes. Scooters, no. Oh, well....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:51:23 PM »
It was 5 or 6 degrees Celsius and dry so not too bad for a trip into town to fill up with petrol, visit the jetwash and pop in by one of the bike shops to discuss the upcoming annual inspection. I had the battery heated gloves on for the first half an hour then turned them off.

Stig, no donut shops here my friend. There is a Starbucks (on the left of the picture) which was open, but I'm not too fond of their business tactics... Or their coffee for that matter.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Yes, nice pictures. Good to see any scoot out riding!
Yeah, never understood how Starbucks did so well selling burnt tasting coffee....but my impression is that most customers are there for their "desert" drinks.
I like Dino...
when i come in, and am in line behind a bunch of youngsters ordering those 7-part desrt drinks. He stops, and reaches past them to hand me my "large house with room". (otherwise I'd be 20 mins getting served)
The Underdog makes a nice breakfast, but Dino's and the Spirited Goat make better coffee in Yellow Springs.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
Either one of you guys ever drink army field coffee> You know where they fill a 32 gallon garbage can, for coffee only, I hope, and pour a pound of coffee in the boiling water, heated by a mermite, gasoline heater. The cooks always told us that after the coffee had cooked awhile, they just turned the heat down and put one large ladle of cold water in the can and ALL the grounds would go to the bottom.
I've chewed to many cups of that stuff to believe that lie. Now just about any cup of coffee taste good to me..
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
Either one of you guys ever drink army field coffee> You know where they fill a 32 gallon garbage can, for coffee only, I hope, and pour a pound of coffee in the boiling water, heated by a mermite, gasoline heater. The cooks always told us that after the coffee had cooked awhile, they just turned the heat down and put one large ladle of cold water in the can and ALL the grounds would go to the bottom.
I've chewed to many cups of that stuff to believe that lie. Now just about any cup of coffee taste good to me..
I always skipped the chow hall in training - the smell of the mess hall on humid Texas mornings was too much.
The privacy of a solitary smoke and a Dr. Pepper on the parade ground was a joy, as the sun came up. (privacy, and my cute 19 yr old SoCal wife,  were the two things I missed most while in the Army)

Later, in the monsoon of the Central Highlands, I was taught how to make a wonderful morning brew using rain water, off of the foliage*, coffee, creamer, sugar and cocoa packets in a c-rat can  heated over a c-rat stove using a bit of C-4 from a Claymore mine. You do all this under a poncho - which only a few carried due to the noise they make in the rain (like, sure, you could hear the bad guys in a downpour?)
Bam! the stuff got hot right now! Blistered lip was worth it!

*As the medic I carried the halazone and/or globaline tablets - but nobody liked the taste. So, rainwater straight off the big leaves was readily avail. and better tasting in the monsoons. (Guys would use too few tabs in the water from the blue features - and then get pretty sick.)  Medivaced more than a few - - plus a couple who ate the C-4 to get off the line. They were surprised to discover that their recovery period was, "line of duty -No!"... so it did not count towards their 12 mos tour. Nor did sun-burn! V-D, yes - had to - to get them to go for treatment.

OK - what was the question?

Stig

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:40:01 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »
Yelp, that monsoon was something. Stayed wet the entire time. My biggest problem was crotch rot. I walked like a cowboy who'd been on a year long trail ride. I got some kind of powery, gritty stuff to wash with, but it didn't help. I was explaining my problem to one of the local ladies, of the night. She told me she knew something that would work. Seen her again in a few days and she had a little bottle of clear liquid. She agreed to administer it to me. So I laid down on a mat and she held the other half of her source of income up out the way and doused me good with the contents of the little bottle. A flame thrower could not of hurt worse. I screamed and cursed her and cried. Later I took the little bottle to the dispensary to see if any one there could read what was on the bottle. By then the skin was starting to scab over. My friend got some one to intrepid the contents and found out it contain 5% silver nitrate. No hair grows there, but I never had another problem with crotch rot. True story.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »

Ya for many years after,  just the smell of coffee would make me throw up 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()