Author Topic: snorkel kit or mod for 450i  (Read 1034 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
snorkel kit or mod for 450i
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:24:59 PM »
I got into a pretty deep water crossing this past weekend, not problems other than getting stuck and pulling myself out with a block & tackle

had my dealer do a service yesterday that it was overdue for by about 100 miles, silt line in the engine compartment was only an inch or so from getting the air intake, screams at me " I want  snorkel"
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
Re: snorkel kit or mod for 450i
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:00:04 AM »
   Personally I think it would be smarter to stay out of deep water. Those who run in deep water and mud find themselves constantly maintaining and repairing the damage that happens from high water and mud.  That stuff just gets into any knook and cranny and causes issues. I would much rather ride and have fun than constantly work on my machine.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
that's my plan, to avoid water whenever possible, my UTV is a work vehicle, it takes me where I need to go, my recent experience coupled with my son ruining an engine in his Land Rover Discovery a couple years ago. I haven't even looked under the hood so to speak to see what it would take, before I even think about reinventing the wheel, I check to see if the wheel was invented to begin with

one thing the experience gained me, was the need for a winch, I got my self out with block and tackle but a winch woulda only taken a couple minutes instead of nearly an hour
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
       I hear ya on the winch, put one on mine but mainly for the snow plow. If your alone then the winch can be a big help, but personally I prefer to be pulled out or pull others out rather than using the winch. I have pulled out a few others from some deep water and mud, but not with the winch. I carry a long 30' cable and a 20' tow strap and with the low gear and 4wd it has been a piece of cake. If I were on my own then the winch would be needed, but they are just so darn slow.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()