Author Topic: Counter steering  (Read 1082 times)

PaulF

• View Profile
Counter steering
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:51:11 AM »
Although most of ride just scooters it is very important to learn and also cornering.  I prefer the old 'go in slow and come out faster'

https://motorbikewriter.com/practise-counter-steering/

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Counter steering
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Gotta be honest with you here....if I were to think about the particular scientific aspects of counter steering while dodging that "sleeping" cat which just emerged from beneath the car in front of me ---- I'd end up in the shrubbery every time!

We grew up riding bikes as kids...you learned to miss that apple sized rock - or once again you're going to lose more skin off of your knees and elbows!
It's instinctual --- not riding science for me.
The whole ballet of pushing and pulling on the bars is....beyond me.
"Don't hit the cat!"....is what works for me.
(During my two day MS safety course....counter steering discussions were replaced by ,"don't hit the cones!". Worked a treat for all of us)
Stig, respectfully

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
EVERYONE who isn't (the "indestructible" teenager who just got out of MSF classes and decided that SLPR doesn't really need to be followed because ITS ALL ABOUT GOING FAST, NOT GETTING THERE ALIVE) slows down before entering any curve where, due to the traffic or roadside obstructions, you can't see 3-4 seconds ahead. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »
And regarding that video -- when that truck appeared, nothing would have saved that rider.
His riding speed and style were as if he was on a private road. Period.
Stig
Bad decision to do that....probably had ridden this road many times and found no traffic.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:10:49 PM »
Gotta be honest with you here....if I were to think about the particular scientific aspects of counter steering while dodging that "sleeping" cat which just emerged from beneath the car in front of me ---- I'd end up in the shrubbery every time!

We grew up riding bikes as kids...you learned to miss that apple sized rock - or once again you're going to lose more skin off of your knees and elbows!
It's instinctual --- not riding science for me.
The whole ballet of pushing and pulling on the bars is....beyond me.
"Don't hit the cat!"....is what works for me.
(During my two day MS safety course....counter steering discussions were replaced by ,"don't hit the cones!". Worked a treat for all of us)
Stig, respectfully
\

Many riders who "ride by instinct" but don't understand what they are really doing end up doing the wrong thing in an emergency and crash when there was no reason to crash.  Braking and steering are the two most commonly screwed up skills out there.  I do think about countersteering when I'm out practicing on a twisty road.  I sometimes practice avoiding things on the road with hard countersteering.   By practicing it, countersteering is instinct when I need it.  Many riders do run off the road in a curve when all they had to to was countersteer or they run into something in the road that could easily have been avoided. 

I see discussions about braking on forums all the time and it's obvious a large percentage or riders are pretty clueless on that as well.  They brake "by instinct."  That may work in normal situations but not in an emergency.  Now that there is ABS on most new bikes that is no longer as big of an issue.  There is no mechanical device like ABS to save those who can't steer. 

OH, and I forgot another important skill:  Look where you want to go.  Instinct is to look at what you want to avoid.  This is a skill that must be understood and practiced or it won't happen in an emergency.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
\

Many riders who "ride by instinct" but don't understand what they are really doing end up doing the wrong thing in an emergency and crash when there was no reason to crash.  Braking and steering are the two most commonly screwed up skills out there.  I do think about countersteering when I'm out practicing on a twisty road.  I sometimes practice avoiding things on the road with hard countersteering.   By practicing it, countersteering is instinct when I need it.  Many riders do run off the road in a curve when all they had to to was countersteer or they run into something in the road that could easily have been avoided. 

I see discussions about braking on forums all the time and it's obvious a large percentage or riders are pretty clueless on that as well.  They brake "by instinct."  That may work in normal situations but not in an emergency.  Now that there is ABS on most new bikes that is no longer as big of an issue.  There is no mechanical device like ABS to save those who can't steer. 

OH, and I forgot another important skill:  Look where you want to go.  Instinct is to look at what you want to avoid.  This is a skill that must be understood and practiced or it won't happen in an emergency.

Although this does not have anything to do with countersteering, it follows the same thought process. I am one of those that did not have the experience to "follow my instinct". I took the MSF classes and was told the proper way to handle emergency situations. I did not practice what I was taught. Unfortunately for me, my instinct kicked in while turning into a driveway and a car blocked my entry. Instinct told me to STOP. I braked while in a turn and came off.
 After they turned pointed my leg in the right direction, and months of healing, I now practice emergency braking, as well as counter steering on every ride.
 I can think of a few things that I did wrong that day. I had a lot of couch time to reflect.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:07:15 PM »
Yes, ride safely. Call it whatever you want, countersteering, looking where you want to go, or whatever, but the single best way of helping yourself ride safely is this: SLOW DOWN.

Closely followed by: Keep your head on a swivel and increase your situational awareness, have an escape route, and never take anything for granted.

Did I mention, SLOW DOWN"?
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »
agreed, slow speed practice helps with proper steering
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
What's the point of having a case for your camera if it just pops off like that one? :-)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
Oh, huge OW, OWOW! PPPPP = Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Usta have one more P but I've been practicing not saying those words! This rider did not plan how he was going to take any of those curves and, as already pointed out, did not plan that anyone would be coming his way on the same road. Flight training was fun! You were taught how to fly out of trouble and in the process how to avoid it in the first place. Controls, at first, made no sense. Like the stick or yoke was turn and speed control, throttle/power lever was up and down and rudder was not for turning except on the ground. Counter steering is the same deal. They touch on it in MSF BRC but planning and recovery must wait for advance class.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
Yes, ride safely. Call it whatever you want, countersteering, looking where you want to go, or whatever, but the single best way of helping yourself ride safely is this: SLOW DOWN.

Closely followed by: Keep your head on a swivel and increase your situational awareness, have an escape route, and never take anything for granted.

Did I mention, SLOW DOWN"?

This only works if you are going too fast.  Otherwise it's a good way to get run over.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »

Although this does not have anything to do with countersteering, it follows the same thought process. I am one of those that did not have the experience to "follow my instinct". I took the MSF classes and was told the proper way to handle emergency situations. I did not practice what I was taught. Unfortunately for me, my instinct kicked in while turning into a driveway and a car blocked my entry. Instinct told me to STOP. I braked while in a turn and came off.
 After they turned pointed my leg in the right direction, and months of healing, I now practice emergency braking, as well as counter steering on every ride.
 I can think of a few things that I did wrong that day. I had a lot of couch time to reflect.

I have around a half a million miles of riding experience in all kinds of conditions and on all kinds of bikes.  Occasionally my instinct still tries to get me to do the wrong thing.   So I try to understand what and why I am doing things and practice.  For the most part this works but I also know I have to keep working at it.

Also keep in mind that the MSF is a very basic course and some of the stuff they teach is not really correct.  It's a good way to get started but if you want to be a good rider you have to keep learning after completing the MSF course.

One of the things that has improved my riding skills is participating in Gymkhana.  This isn't just getting around a bunch of cones.  If you are doing it right you will push yourself and your bike nearly as hard as you would on a racetrack, just at much lower speeds.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:30 PM »
Yes, Klav! Gymkhana for two wheels! What an idea! Where and when?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:11:33 AM »
The truck crash video was a subject of long discussion on the BeginnerBiker.org forum about a year ago. Two things were discussed concerning the video about what doomed the rider - his speed and his fixation on the truck. Counter-steering could probably have saved him, but his fixation on the truck glued him to where his bike would go.

Speed-wise he had little time to seek an escape route. To his left the road looked like it was skirting a cliff. Bad choice to go there if he wanted to avoid a hit. By trying to go to the right, and at his speed the gyroscopic forces of his tires fought to swing him back in the opposite way. Ironically, at his speed if he had hit his turn wide by hugging the right or angling himself so that he could try to see the vanishing point of the curve as he came around it may have given him a half second more to react to the coming truck. That’s pure speculation on my part. He was going pretty fast and in the other forum it was thought that there was another rider ahead of him who he may have been trying to catch up with.

Regardless, the tactic of going into his curve slow and out fast may have saved him. I’m not a fan of speeding on unfamiliar roads. You just never know what’s around the next bend.

Learning counter-steering isn’t enough in the BRC. I failed my first time taking it. Years later when I decided to try again I practiced emergency braking and counter-steering for weeks before the course. However, what really helped me grasp the skills was the most fundamental principle - look where you want to go. I never looked at the cones in the course, I looked at the end of where I wanted my bike to go and the bike did the rest.

That skilled combined with the others - counter steering, in slow/out fast/ emergency swerving and braking made a huge difference on how I performed the first time I took the BRC and the second attempt where I passed. Instinctive riding is best when it’s reinforced muscle memory.

- Wolf

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 12:58:49 AM »
Yes, Klav! Gymkhana for two wheels! What an idea! Where and when?

We typically have one or two gymkhanas in Alabama every year.  I wish there were more but that's it.  There was one in April in Leeds Alabama (Near Barber Motorsports park and museum).  Unfortunately I couldn't make that one.  It's always fun and it's FREE!!  Here's a link to the last one:  http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2754.0

Another one I made it to last year:  http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=2149.15

I'll try to remember post up when there is another one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:00:35 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()