Author Topic: Right angle tyre valve stems  (Read 893 times)

PaulF

• View Profile
Right angle tyre valve stems
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:38:45 AM »
When I purchased my Like (125) I wondered why there was a right angle valve stem on the front and a straight one on the rear which was hard to get at so when I had new tyres put on my new 200i and the fitter asked if I wanted a right angle valve stem fitted to the rear I agreed and it has made checking the pressure and pumping in air so much easier.  My really good air gauge would not fit the straight valve so I had to use a cheap one on the back and I had to struggle to get my foot pump hose connected but now it's all good and I managed to buy a good slightly used hand pump off ebay with a clip on hose that is quick and easy to use.
Why they don't fit right angle valve stems to both wheels at the factory is confusing.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Right angle tyre valve stems
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
I agree - the straight one on my rear tyre is also a great annoyance to me!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 09:47:16 AM »
I don't know if they do that for a reason or just to save a few cents but here is a good article on cheap parts being used that leads to recalls.

https://motorbikewriter.com/cheap-motorcycle-parts-lead-record-recalls/

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
Good link, PaulF!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
When I purchased my Like (125) I wondered why there was a right angle valve stem on the front and a straight one on the rear which was hard to get at so when I had new tyres put on my new 200i and the fitter asked if I wanted a right angle valve stem fitted to the rear I agreed and it has made checking the pressure and pumping in air so much easier.  My really good air gauge would not fit the straight valve so I had to use a cheap one on the back and I had to struggle to get my foot pump hose connected but now it's all good and I managed to buy a good slightly used hand pump off ebay with a clip on hose that is quick and easy to use.
Why they don't fit right angle valve stems to both wheels at the factory is confusing.

Bet it has something to do with how the wheels are presented on the assembly line?
Gas station air hoses on the rear are easy. But getting a gauge in there is a pain without a right angle one.  (Amazon)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »
Bet it has something to do with how the wheels are presented on the assembly line?
Gas station air hoses on the rear are easy. But getting a gauge in there is a pain without a right angle one.  (Amazon)
Stig

I prefer to check my tyres at home and adjust when cold and for some reason I don't really trust the accuracy of petrol station air pumps.   I have a Jamec Pem tyre gauge that I do trust though. 

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 05:46:01 AM »
I put a right angle one on, and it got smacked by the cvt body, and so, it can't be 90 degrees out like shown in the pic, but 45 degrees only, which puts it up close to a spoke, so causing issues, as I had to bend it at a crazy angle to get the air pipe adapter on, and splitting the rubber valve resulted, so I removed them again.
Just my experience on my xc500.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
I prefer to check my tyres at home and adjust when cold and for some reason I don't really trust the accuracy of petrol station air pumps.   I have a Jamec Pem tyre gauge that I do trust though. 

Yep, agree about the gas station air hoses - but it's a easy way to get air in that awkward back tire. Then I check with my gauge.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
Sounds good Stig.   :)

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
I have one of these Campbell-Hausfeld compact pumps and it allows connecting to the rear valve easily. I then use a dial type gauge to check.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:06:36 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »
You can buy 90 degree valve stem extensions on ebay that solve the problem...or you can fairly easily remove the straight stem and install your own 90 degree valve stem without removing the tire or wheel (See my method recently described in the Technical column).
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()