Author Topic: Kymco Like 200i 2016 Cannot figure out what my electrical issue is!  (Read 325 times)

drewr

• View Profile
Hello all, this is my first post after reading through as much as I could trying to figure out how to diagnose this issue. I bought this scooter second hand and it's been great. My problem first started quite a few months ago when I went to start my scooter and it wasn't firing the starter. I could hear the fuel pump engage and a click from the relay, but no turning on the starter. I immediately used a small battery jumper I had for my motorcycle and it fired right up. I figured it was a bad battery so I went and bought a new one. The next day had the same issue with the new battery... I had them test both at the store and they said they were both good, so I just kept the old one and put it on a trickle charger. Started fine again for awhile, but intermittently would have the same no-start, but would go with a jump from a small battery pack. After the new starter was in it was working fine for months, but all of a sudden it started happening again, and the extra power from the jumpers didn't do anything. I did all the tests I could find with my voltometer and everything looked good. I tried bypassing the relay and putting the power directly to the starter and wouldn't get a turn, so I thought maybe the starter was bad. Swapped that out and worked for awhile, but again the same issue kept coming up. I checked my connections, pulled off my ground wire and everything looked clean. I found a new relay for ten bucks so I put that in just to see and still no change. Now nothing will start it. Had it on a trickle charger overnight and the battery is reading full, but no start. I'm getting break lights, head lights, fuel pump, click from the relay, but nothing from the starter motor. I'm stumped if anyone has any suggestions! I've always checked the kill switch is in the correct position. I'm sure it's going to be something silly I'm just not seeing, but want to avoid taking it to the mechanic as they're backed up and expensive! Thanks for your help!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Like 200i 2016 Cannot figure out what my electrical issue is!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:15:42 PM »
Sounds like a bad connection but you have disconnected / reconnected all the heavy wire in the start circuit so now look at each terminal lug where it connects to the cable. Bet you have one that looks black or green.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:30:01 PM »
Key on - screwdriver across the starter/relay posts....gets nothing?
How many miles, how was it stored before your purchase, any wrecks?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

drewr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »
So I checked the terminals. Nothing suspicious I could find. I tried the screwdriver and nothing. I found a relay for 10 bucks and I tried to swap it out just to see and still no luck.

I bought it from someone that seemed like a fairly reliable owner. Had it in his garage. It had a couple small scuffs on the side, but looked more like it scratched on something instead of laying it down as none of the plastic was damaged or scratched too bad.

I'm puzzled.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
You jumped the two big terminals on the start relay with a screwdriver and NOTHING? Just asking to clarify before I write anything else.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
Have you or the previous owner ever installed any kind of additional electrical equipment which is permanently connected directly to the battery? USB Charger? 12V power cigarette lighter or gps tracking "mouse" or an additional stronger relay operated horn or clock or.......
Some of these items may suck your battery empty overnight or within a short period of time (days) if connected directly and permanently to the battery.
You should and may check your amperage flow via multimeter when the scooter is parked and off. Disconnect the minus pole of the battery and then measure the amperage flow between battery minus pole and disconnected minus (ground) cable.
The readout should be very very tiny. somewhere in the mA (milliamps) range.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()