Author Topic: 2015 Like 200i Potential Failure Code 6  (Read 562 times)

petah

• View Profile
2015 Like 200i Potential Failure Code 6
« on: September 03, 2020, 04:55:15 AM »
Hello everyone, last year around this time I acquired a 2015 like 200i with 70 miles or so on the clock, and currently has < 800 miles. It's run like a top for the past year, but somewhat recently in the past view months when riding for around 10+ minutes, the scooter will seemingly lose power and "lurch" forward, when I open the throttle more there is some hesitation followed by acceleration. When idling after experiencing this surge, the idle gets a bit more irregular but not quite rough before dying. However, the scooter starts right back up and will continue to run perfectly for a few more minutes before the process starts all over again.

A few days ago, dumping the gas and replacing it with fresh gas and changing out the spark plug to a CR7HIX I did a test run, and it died as per the usual stated above, but this time when going to restart the light flashed a six times after the initial start up 2. Taking a look at the manual it seems that that is related to the battery voltage being abnormal. I checked the battery, which is about one year old according to the previous owner, with a voltmeter and it's pushing out 12.6 volts at rest. (I should probably measure at the voltage at start, idle and revving up, but I'll need another pair of hands for that so it'll have to wait till tomorrow). Is the battery perhaps on it's way out, or is the charging system on the fritz? Is there anything else I can check to track down this issue?

I appreciate y'alls assistance up front.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Like 200i Potential Failure Code 6
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
Yeah, don't think it is your 'charging system' - as these scoots have no history of that.
Because this could be a number of things, with fuel sitting in an unused scooter for 4 or 5 years - from my experience I would suggest that you save a lot of time and trouble and purchase a  service manual from someone like www.cyclepedia.com and then open a service ticket with their service techs who are pretty good with Kymco products. Their service advice is free once you become a customer.

Explain to him what is happening - and he will get you started down the most likely path to a good repair.

If you do this - please let us know how things turn out - we can all learn from your experience.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 03:57:53 PM »
1) check if fuel line near tank on its way to the injector is squeezed somehow and somewhere. Might be an issue with very heavy riders.
2) check ventilation of gas tank cap. Try a testride without the cap eventually. Might even be a problem with heavy riders. Do not block the gas cap with rags or other luggage. Let it breathe a bit.
3) American Like scooter models have a rather senseless but complicated gas tank breather recycling system on board thanks to your overprotective safety board. Once this system was flooded by overfilling the tank, it might also cause issues.
4) healthy batteries are an absolute must for this electronically operated fuel injection system. voltage at rest is only one of three important figures. What figures does the multimeter show under load e.g. while pressing the starter button? Does it fall below 11.5 Volts? What does the multimeter show while idling or reving the engine a bit on center stand? It should significantly rise from 12,6V up to maybe 14V. Otherwise rectifier/regulator is malfunctioning.
5) was the first valvecheck ever done (and properly) on this scooter? If not, do it. 0.10mm both in and ex.
6) post here later what you have found out to make the scooter run again.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

petah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »
Stig, as you recommended I opened up a ticket with the Cyclepedia team. They had me check the battery at rest, start up, idling, and opening the throttle around 5 to 10ish minutes (more or less how long it takes for me to replicate the warming up and dying issue), and everything checked out just fine. They have some concerns about the fuel pump, but haven’t given me any further instructions yet at this time.

Vespbretta,

1. I checked out the fuel line, and didn’t see anything squeezed shut.
2. I removed the gas cap, and could still replicate my issue. Also I didn’t hear any suction or anything when opening it.
3. Can you give me some more detail on the tank breather system and what I can check?
4. As stated above the battery is healthy, along with the charging system. I believe the regulator is working properly as I didn’t see it allow the battery to charge over 14.0 volts.
5. No this has not been completed to my knowledge. I will look into it.
6. Will do!

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:12:36 AM »
@3) unfortunately not. Read along in this forum. It has already been dealt with, I guess.
@5) this is essential! Especially within the first ~1000miles. Why? Because valves and valve seats  do and need to sit in during the break in process within the first ~1000miles.
Therefore the valve clearance is getting (dramatically) smaller. Maybe so small that the valve lash goes down to zero or even "below" which means, that the scooter may still run when the engine ist cold or in warm up, but may fail and stop to run when engine is getting hot after a longer ride. It has to do with temperature expansion of metall and aluminium when getting hot. It causes the valves stay open, so therefore no compression, therefore no combustion, therefore no working engine. It´s as simple as that.
So do yourself a favour, and get that valce clearance checked and set properly when engine is cold.
There are videos out how its done on the scooter and Stig has also written some perfect "manuals" for the scooter.

And as a 7th point) you might also check if the spark plug cap has good and strong and tight connection to the cable and the sparkplug  under all riding conditions. Because without a spark - no runnig engine either. Maybe a new cap is needed.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()