Author Topic: Like 200i Wobble  (Read 701 times)

Zaryte_

• View Profile
Like 200i Wobble
« on: February 02, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »
Hey guys, kymco noob here

my 2018 like 200i has been slightly wobbly on the front end, like when im riding on smooth pavement, the handlebars are more wiggly or vibratey then they usually are. another example is when im turning/leaning, the handlebars are slightly shakey. I was thinking it could be a wheel bearing, but I was hoping one of you glorious folks could shed some light. im taking it into a mechanic soon, but they like me to gather what info I can prior to the appt, so if any of you have ideas, id be immensely grateful.

one other thing, for a brief period, when i turned it on from a cold start, there was a brief, odd jingling sound from the front end. couldnt tell if it was from the wheel, but it was almost like there was a bell ringing for 1-2 seconds right when i turned it on from cold. (when it was a bit more vibratey due to that cold engine)

thanks so much!!!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Like 200i Wobble
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:37:02 AM »
Front tire air pressure correct?
Grab front wheel at 3 o'clock  and 9 o'clock. ...pull and push with each hand briskly to & fro.
Loose?
Do the same shake with the handlebar grips.
Loose?
The noise?...most of us make funny noises when cold.
How cold are we talking ( you in Florida,  or Michigan? ).
Miles on your scoot, any crashes?
Stig
Please report dealer findings
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:39:50 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Zaryte_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:59:45 AM »
appreciate the response! I'm not currently home, but I suspect the wheel bearing, and will do the recommended tests and get back to you. it's got 1200 miles, never crashed, and temp ~30-50 but I think around 40-50f on those days

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:55:59 AM »
You can just put the scooter on the center stand, make sure the front tyre is not touching the ground, hold the handle bars and rock the front wheel sideways and up and down. There should be no play on the wheel. You can also just spin the front wheel by hand - it should run freely without noise, or play on the wheel.

While the front wheel is off the ground you can also just rock the handle bars sideways / up and down / backwards / forwards to see if there is any play on the steering column. If you find any play at the handlebars you should find a nut at the top of the steering column which can be adjusted / tightened.

What is the mileage on your front tyre ? The front tyre on my scoot is quite worn and by times the scoot also has a slight vibration at the handlebar. In my case I think a new tyre will solve the problem.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »
An overinflated front tyre can give a front end wiggle - that would be more first port of call.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »
Will be interested to see if experienced scooter mechanic finds anything wrong with your scooter.

When I was new to my LIKE200iLX I heard/felt all kinds of things.....😊
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:36:31 PM »
Will be interested to see if experienced scooter mechanic finds anything wrong with your scooter.

When I was new to my LIKE200iLX I heard/felt all kinds of things.....😊
Stig

My enquiry about engine noise from my new XT300i when cold was met with the standard "Oh they all do that sir"...  The Answer?  Found out for myself that you need to keep it under 6K rpm until the second block lights on the temperature LCD display then you can give it the berries without any nasty clanking noises.  I know, I know.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »
1200 miles is nothing for 2 model year old machine----check front tire for proper in air pressure.  I would put machine in center stand, spin wheel to make sure it is round, both sideways and around----tire could have developed flat spot from sitting.

Also if heavy top box is installed, this can have effect on handling and feel.

If bike is still under warranty----try your dealer.

Zaryte_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:57:08 PM »
hey guys, I plan to report back after the mech looks at it! should be later this week- I appreciate all the help thus far, seriously.

I put the bike on center stand, didn't notice any play when I tried to move the wheel at 9 and 3, but when I spun it, there was a light scraping sound, about once every turn. sounded like my old cars wheel bearing noise. also, the front wheel squeaks when slowing to a stop in "neutral"

thanks again!

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:02 PM »
I experienced the same thing on the oem tires. They weren´t balanced and centered at all from factory. After I put on a set of new tires (different brand and thread) and BALANCED and CENTERED them very exactly, the wobble of the handlebar was totally gone. I now can/could ride handsfree up to top speed (~70mph). Like a train on its rails. That feels real´ good.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 12:09:36 AM »
hey guys, I plan to report back after the mech looks at it! should be later this week- I appreciate all the help thus far, seriously.

I put the bike on center stand, didn't notice any play when I tried to move the wheel at 9 and 3, but when I spun it, there was a light scraping sound, about once every turn. sounded like my old cars wheel bearing noise. also, the front wheel squeaks when slowing to a stop in "neutral"

thanks again!

The slight scraping sound is most probably caused by the brake pads touching the brake disc very slightly. Nothing to worry about.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
 I have experienced this on both my LIKE and Smax. Tire pressure too low or too high. Also, it will not track true when the tires are wearing unevenly. 

Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:21 PM »

thanks again!

Try a green kitchen scrubby on the disc. Grab it with the scrubby, spin the tire. Clean off the crud - and maybe try giving the brakes a good hard stop or two.
Disc noise on an otherwise healthy set of brakes can be from using them too lightly for too long.
Basically - nothing sounds wrong with your brakes.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()