Author Topic: Weird maintenance schedule for LIKE200  (Read 1523 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Weird maintenance schedule for LIKE200
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
Weird service schedule in the LIKE200 owner's manual.....
How many followed the maintenance schedule of changing the oil when the odometer read 200 miles (+gear oil), and then again at 600 miles ...and then every 1200 miles after that?
Yeah, I did. Sort of. I had 5 oil changes by the time my scoot reached 1300 miles. The first at 70 miles.  (someone said the Chinese might be using fish oil in there)

OK, and has anyone ever seen a dirty air filter? Those are to be changed at 3,000 miles and then every 4,000. get to use.

And cyclepedia says to change the fuel  pump filter at 7,000Km. I'd like to hear from anyone who went in there to perform that. The filter is only avail. as part of the $185 fuel pump bundle.

At 14,000+ miles I've checked the valves 9 times per my maint. record, with an embarassing number of gear and engine oil changes. I started out with AMSOIL per the dealer's advice. But the forum moved me to start using  Shell Rotella. Still using Honda pro for the gear oil.

The Michelins went on at 440 miles. I guess it is time to think of replacing that 5 yr old from City Grip. Changed the rear tire last year with new bearing.

My spare brake pads are aging in a drawer, with a new Iridium NGK, head and tail light bulbs, airfilters, dipstick, oil screens, O rings & caps. (in case KYMCO went the way of PanAm airlines - I bought a new coil, injector, clutch assembly & bell off of our one-time resident scooter mechanic in the far N.W. a few years ago - still in the tissue paper)

Oh well, I guess the Kymco maint. schedule is no weirder than my maint. habits.

Stig

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:03:33 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
Re: Weird maintenance schedule for LIKE200
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
Sad truth is most service intervals are set up for the dealer's benefit not the benefit of the scooter owner.   Very few stand alone scooter dealers anymore.  Most of the succesful dealers are part of a motorcycle dealership.  Dealers make very little money on each scooter sold.  The real profit is in the service and accessories end. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
Well, I have heard it stated that service intervals are for the benefit of the dealers.
But, I don't subscribe to that theory.
My Kymco is sold all around the globe -  to include some very wet or dusty 2nd & 3rd world countries.
As such - I think the owner's manual has to address the machine's proper upkeep --- across this wide spectrum of operating conditions, some of which are pretty miserable.

Some of us enjoy putzing around inside of our scooters -and we do more than what is scheduled.

I read of owners who ,if there is no oil on the parking spot, think it is silly to touch the dipstick until time for the oil change every year or two.
Nothing gets touched unless performance is failing. Owners of $8000 Burgmans who try for tens of thousnads of miles from the original & easily changed $7 spark plug; cut airfilters out of $3 home furnace filter sheets, etc.

I wish my mega brand cycle/scooter/atv etc. dealer would try harder to entice me into their service dept. with specials on common servicing needs (mount tires, oil changes, etc.) - that they don't I think is more a failure of their marketing desk --  than some conspiracy with the manufacturers.

As for scooter pricing - they are still making a profit on the $5999 sale of an $8000 scooter.

Still, I wouldn't sink my $ into any two wheel dealership in the USA. Not much future in it in this country.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
Hey Stig,

Lemme know when you are selling any of your scooters.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
Hey Stig,

Lemme know when you are selling any of your scooters.
Sales are over. Burgman was shipped 2,393 miles to Portland, OR; Forza went to NE Ohio.
Have 2 low mile Kenda scooter tires and one 1989 Michelin Jetta tire free pick up.

Missed out on the 1983 free 3 legged Sears mower...and 1950's wooden step ladder. Trash pickers scored those two beauties.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
I followed the service schedule when I owned my Like. The only thing I did not do was replace the fuel filter. I used tier one fuel suppliers and never had an issue in the 14,000+ miles I had her. Once I did skip the spark plug suggested replacement interval without any ill effects.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 11:12:02 PM »
I'm trying to visualize a three legged mower...and can't.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:09:26 AM »
I'm trying to visualize a three legged mower...and can't.
Dumb thing just ran and ran, wheels breaking out of the chassis every couple of years. Until just couldn't fit another up front right.
Easy, just keep a little down pressure of the handle and walk along. Scalp the heck out of the lawn if you doze off daydreaming about riding mowers.

That would have been a reliable engine for a airplane. Trick seemed to be , never change the oil, or drain the gas for winters.
Just add oil and gas and give it two pulls and Bob's Your Uncle!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:47:59 AM »
OK, and has anyone ever seen a dirty air filter? Those are to be changed at 3,000 miles and then every 4,000. get to use.

And cyclepedia says to change the fuel  pump filter at 7,000Km. I'd like to hear from anyone who went in there to perform that. The filter is only avail. as part of the $185 fuel pump bundle.

At 14,000+ miles I've checked the valves 9 times per my maint. record, with an embarassing number of gear and engine oil changes. I started out with AMSOIL per the dealer's advice. But the forum moved me to start using  Shell Rotella. Still using Honda pro for the gear oil.

The Michelins went on at 440 miles. I guess it is time to think of replacing that 5 yr old from City Grip. Changed the rear tire last year with new bearing.

My spare brake pads are aging in a drawer, with a new Iridium NGK, head and tail light bulbs, airfilters, dipstick, oil screens, O rings & caps. (in case KYMCO went the way of PanAm airlines - I bought a new coil, injector, clutch assembly & bell off of our one-time resident scooter mechanic in the far N.W. a few years ago - still in the tissue paper)
Stig

I've never seen an air filter that was worth changing, bar the one in my other half's car that had done 45,000 miles without a change... I did the one in my last scooter at 20,000 miles and it was still not bad. I think they assume that we're in dusty countries!

How often are the valves supposed to be adjusted? I've been using Motul gear oil for years.

I wouldn't worry about the tyre unless it's showing signs of perishing!

I am also on the lookout for a spare LAMBDA sensor, throttle body and injector unit for when the parts become hard to find. Although, I think I have more access to them from the Italian breaker's markets.

My bike appears to still be on the original pads... which worries me a little. When I was using genuine Suzuki pads in the last scooter, I was destroying a pair every 5000 miles or so. I need to get both callipers off the bike to change the fluid and carefully remove the pins, which are currently seized solid. If not, it will be replacement calliper time!

Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the original brake pads.....they are slow wearing, but not because of any lack of effectiveness!
The LIKE has very, very powerful brakes, and need only a light touch compared to some.
Sig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()