Author Topic: 2006 Mongoose wiring question  (Read 2270 times)

bwhitty

• View Profile
2006 Mongoose wiring question
« on: May 21, 2020, 11:33:12 PM »
Good afternoon all.

I picked up a bike for my kid for Christmas. It ran great when test riding (used), and as soon as I got it home, it wouldn't start.
After 2 mechanics (including the dealer) worked on it for a grand total of $800, they never got it to reliably run. I was told it must be the wiring harness after having the ignition switch cleaned, both boxes near the battery replaced, etc.

Well, I took it home, and just got around to replacing the wiring harness. Now, it won't turn over.  I've got no power to the 10 amp starter fuse.   There's one green wire that runs up into the battery box, that I'm unsure where it connects. I thought it went to the negative battery terminal and connected it there, but still no go. There's power to the inlet side of the starter solenoid, but no juice to the outgoing side whether or not the starter switch is engaged.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to find a color picture of the battery box so I can see how that one green wire is connected, but have been failing so far.

Thanks for any assistance.

Also, are any of you aware of a good service manual with colored wiring schematics for this bike?

Brandon

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Mongoose wiring question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:04:30 AM »
The best manuals in my opinion are those published by cyclepedia. They usually run 9-12 dollars for the online copy with color photos. The hard copy has B/W photos and is around 30$.

I believe they have a manual for your model.
Become the best you can with what you have.

bwhitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:05 AM »
I was on Cyclepedia earlier. Their note indicates black and white only pages.

The download for the full factory service manual was cheaper from Tradebit, so I go it from there.

The manual won't be very beneficial, since I don't know what wires should have power at what time. I'll fumble through it until I give up or get 'er working. I can't do any worse than the "professional" mechanics.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 02:39:57 AM »
Ok. It may vary by model as I got a color pdf for my agility 125.
Become the best you can with what you have.

bwhitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:26:34 AM »
After doing a little diagnosing, here's where I'm at.

12v to the starter solenoid, and jumping it turns the engine over.
12v to all fuses in the block.
12v to the small green wires run into the solenoid
Jumped the starter switch
Key on (headlights/ taillights, and rear brake light all work.)
12 v. to both wires on the coil
12v to both wires run into the left brake lever-- should I have 12v to both of these wires, and does it matter the wire orientation?

I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here. The darn thing turned over before I pulled the battery many months ago, based on memory (this was a Christmas gift from the previous Christmas).  I got so frustrated, I quit messing with it and pulled the battery for another project. That's the last time the starter turned over. The quad has been stored in my shop, out of the weather for the duration.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 12:29:19 AM »
I am mystified by the number of dealer instances replacing or recommended replacing wiring harnesses. Maybe in cases of restoration it is warranted or in cases of extreme age and deterioration BUT is the original harness available? Your case may have been warranted but obviously something is wrong since it was not plug and play!

A color wiring diagram is absolutely necessary. One that matches your current harness is mandatory. Do you still have your original wiring? What are the differences if any? Are all the plugs the same?

I gotta study your last "did it" list.....
Keep us posted and we will see what we can find in wiring diagrams.

One thing is the Kymco convention is 1. Green is one of the ground wire colors and 2. The start switch generally provides a ground connection for the start relay (solenoid). Key on will provide 12 volts to the relay coil through one or both brake switches and then the start switch provides the ground to activate the relay.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:36:19 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bwhitty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 01:28:31 AM »
The replacement harness appeared to be a direct replacement, but I kept the original harness as well. The harness was replaced from a different Kymco dealer. I won't support the one who worked on the bike, for several reasons besides their failure to fix the bike.

I married up the 2 harnesses and pulled/ replaced each plug individually-- they all matched up.

I spoke with an ex manager of a Stihl dealership. He said it's possible that I should only have 12v to one of the 2 small wires running to the starter solenoid. I just got back from vacation, and can't remember exactly. I just got a new solenoid to see if that's the issue. As much as I can't stand throwing parts at it without proper diagnostics, it's tough when I don't know what wires should be positive, ground, etc.
I'll throw in the new solenoid in the next day or two and report back if I figure out the issue.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()