Author Topic: 2012 Kymco Like 50 Won't Start  (Read 4532 times)

ssmit119

• View Profile
2012 Kymco Like 50 Won't Start
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
Hello All,

I am posting on behalf of my fiancee.  He has a Kymco Like 50.  It suddenly decided that it did not want to start the other day.  We live in Virginia and at the moment it has been very cold.  At first he was having problems starting in the cold and would bring it indoors to his job to warm it up and that seemed to do the trick.  Then one day it refused to start completely.  We have replaced the battery and are looking at draining all the fluids and starting from scratch there.  He has a carbuerator and its a little two stroke engine.  He lost the button start about 10 months ago and has been using kick start.  The kick start now has completely refused to start working but you can still kick it down and get a little 2 second start noise.  Basically kick, little noise, then nothing.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with it.  The spark plug is coppery and he has been cleaning the air filter regularly per the dealer's instructions.  He has also been adding oil to the engine about every third fill up per the dealer's instruction.  Thanks!

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Kymco Like 50 Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
After verifying spark and fuel flow . . inspect intake manifold reeds.

ssmit119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
I'm not good with this kind of stuff, how would I go about doing that?  I'm honestly this close to just taking the damn thing back to the dealer and have them fix it and buyback because he is shipping out for the navy in 9 days and it's now slowly becoming my very expensive problem.  Thanks

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
not good with this kind of stuff . . . close to just taking the damn thing back to the dealer and have them fix it
Probably the best strategy under the circumstances.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
This is just a chance but is the safety kill switch in OFF position?
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

naughty lee

• 64 mph and pushing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »
I'm not good with this kind of stuff, how would I go about doing that?  I'm honestly this close to just taking the damn thing back to the dealer and have them fix it and buyback because he is shipping out for the navy in 9 days and it's now slowly becoming my very expensive problem.  Thanks

Let's stick with the basics. If the bike has fuel and oil in it and the battery is charged then it will probably start. Try removing the spark plug, cleaning it with a wire brush and refitting it. Then using the kickstart with no throttle, give it a kick. It ll probably start

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()