Author Topic: DO you really dislike shifting?  (Read 972 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: DO you really dislike shifting?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 01:50:38 AM »
I've been planning to write on this in a bit of detail (and other differences to motorcycles), having switched to a small cruiser.

But in brief:

I underestimated just how much of a skill operating a manual transmission is before getting into it (not that it would have discouraged me). But once you learn it, it's no big deal. I'm always paying attention to the engine in addition to everything else though.

Down shifting to slow down to turn off somewhere is still a bit tricky and a bother. Both cycling through all the gears, and being sure you're in the right one when you start the turn. But even this is becoming natural.

Living in the Ozarks, I've come to realize that engine braking is amazing. When I go down the hills, I can simply shift down and I don't need to use my brakes. Down shifting before a bend is nice too.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 03:17:14 AM »
count me in the group that LOVES shifting! There's something just so...satisfying...about shifting smoothly through the gears. My bike is a little Ninja 300 so to get the most out of it it needs to rev. The sound of the motor revving high through the slip on muffler is music to my ears.

I probably ride my motorcycle 90% of the time to 10% on the scooter.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 03:33:41 AM »
Living in a city, shifting sucks especially in traffic jams. That is why I got a 400 Xciting as a compromise. Also I used to buy stick shift cars, but my legs are getting tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic. So I drive a truck. I used to drive a Kawasaki Ninja, but my back doesn't take too well to it anymore. I loved driving scooters in Rome, because you can shoot through traffic and park them anywhere. Also gas is roughly 8-9 dollars a gallon, so it makes sense. The motorcycle was fun, but I get to enjoy the ride more on my scooter without having to think about shifting.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Hmmm... That's a tough question.
Personally, I like the idea of having that one less thing on which to concentrate. I try to ride defensively, paying a certain amount of attention to what's on the road around me, and not having to shift removes one more thing from the equation, no matter how habitual or subconsciously it's done. Twist and go just simplifies things, I suppose.

if shifting hasn't become muscle memory, yer doing something wrong
RandyO
IBA#9560

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:56 AM »
Last time I shifted was at the motorcycle class on a Kawasaki 125 no shifting is fine with me
2009 kymco people 250s

Jonnielights

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »
I really depends on your needs, urban NYC 9am rush hour, shifting is no fun.  Back home, 5 hours upstate, I woulden't trade it for anything, same goes for cars (especially in winter).
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
Red Line man. trans. fluid was a Winter Revelation in my VW busses! Buttery smooth gear stick movement even on the coldest mornings in Massachusetts and Ohio.
Auto-boxes are a recent experience for me - and not too hateful, I guess. Still enjoy shifting a CB500X Honda.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Jonnielights

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
Through high school and college I owned three diesel rabbits, all with at least 200,000mi on them.  It was an art form to shift them, but they were like tanks in the winter mountains of northern NY. 
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
Through high school and college I owned three diesel rabbits, all with at least 200,000mi on them.  It was an art form to shift them, but they were like tanks in the winter mountains of northern NY. 
In the blizzard of 1970-something I received a standing ovation when I arrived at the psych hosp where I worked. In my new base model Rabbit. I was a few mins early because my coffee and cigs places were closed.
For two days I taxied nurses and food back and forth in the snow.
Some staff stayed the night in patient rooms....I cont'd to commute.
Great cars.
Stig
Great cars.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()