Author Topic: adjusting headlights  (Read 2153 times)

stuo

• View Profile
adjusting headlights
« on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
The manual says there is an adjusting screw in a panel hole under the light. Wrong! My 2009 GV 250 required the windscreen removal and careful turning of two large Phillips head screws you will find under there. "Careful" because there are plastic gears driven by those screws that are easily stripped or broken. One screw raises/lowers the light, one moves it sideways.
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: adjusting headlights
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »
The manuals are FAMOUS for errors! This forum is the final word for most of the procedures. You just established one!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
I went through the same thing on my 2005 GV250.  Has anyone tried using a brighter LED H4 Headlight Bulb?
PaulC

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
I did try an H4 Led and it is brighter but still falls short of what I need for night driving on the highway.

So I made a couple of brackets and mounted a short light bar LED just over the headlamp and at the bottom of the windscreen.   at least I can see down the road at night, and when the jerks wont lower their brights I just flick the light bar on for a second and viola they get the idea!  on a four lane highway I still turn the light bar off but just to be mannerly.   

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
I bought this on Amazon and it fits and works good:
"MZS H4 LED Headlight Bulb Single for Motorcycle,9003 HB2 Mini Conversion Kit - CREE Chips - 6500K 5000Lm Extremely Bright " $25

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFPQMGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a much needed fan on the back as it gets hot in seconds when I tested it before reinstalling the plastic scooter fairing.

It is a HUGE improvement but like GrumpyOldMan said its still not quite enough for "good" car-like lighting like a friends 2014 Toyota camery with stock factory lighting.

Also, the are adjustable if the small plastic trim is removed just under the windshield as for with a screwdriver **HOWEVER** it never worked even when I first got the scooter - plastic components?  Stuck in place?  Also, I don't think there are any screws to adjust as the manual claims.

The best way is on the Honda ST motorcycles where you can adjust the aim while driving by turning a dial - to compensate for different stiffness of the suspension & sag due to rider weight.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:22:45 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()