Author Topic: Is drive belt vibration or oscillation normal?  (Read 944 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Is drive belt vibration or oscillation normal?
« on: November 29, 2015, 01:32:20 AM »
I have a 2009 Kymco People 150.  My scooter belt seems to vibrate when I accelerate or cruise at mid range. I took my cover off and ran it at different rpms and it appears that my variator and clutch assembly runs true. My belt does vibrate some up and down when the front and rear pulleys are generally equal belt wise. Is this normal? Should a scooter run absolutely smooth? This is my first scooter and would like to hear from some of you more experienced riders out there. I did try a stiffer contra spring as a test. Still got the same result.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Is drive belt vibration or oscillation normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:11:53 AM »
Hey, Paul! Check Youtube.com for some videos into open CVT's. It is wild how that belt snakes between the pulleys! Scoots should run smoothly but different machines will have some unique characteristics. Ya just put up with stuff until ya get the idea it will either cost a lot to fix or it is normal. Usually grinding, screeching or clunking noises are NOT normal and get more expensive the longer you let them go. Humming, throbbing or whining noises usually go with the machinery and you just get used to 'em.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Is drive belt vibration or oscillation normal?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 04:32:21 AM »
What crossbolt said

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()