Author Topic: size of contact patch on 12" scoot tire?  (Read 1327 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
size of contact patch on 12" scoot tire?
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
Lot of discussion here about scooter tires, brand differences, wet/dry safety, etc.
Anyone seen info on the web which describes the tire/road contact area of a typical 125cc scooter with 12" tires?

I'm thinking my contact patch area is in the 2 - 4 Oreos range on each end.
Regardless, one must ride within the capabilities of the tire under one's behind. Exceed that....well, you'll likely mess up the finish on you and your scooter.
 I know my Michelin City Grips have an "Oh crap!!" point...just like every other tire has, which I  must not exceed.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:33:44 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: size of contact patch on 12" scoot tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
Lot of discussion here about scooter tires, brand differences, wet/dry safety, etc.
Anyone seen info on the web which describes the tire/road contact area of a typical 125cc scooter with 12" tires?

I'm thinking my contact patch area is in the 2 - 4 Oreos range on each end.
Regardless, one must ride within the capabilities of the tire under one's behind. Exceed that....well, you'll likely mess up the finish on you and your scooter.
 I know my Michelin City Grips have an "Oh crap!!" point...just like every other tire has, which I  must not exceed.
Stig

yes sir just as you say little rubber between the road and you on little bikes. Gotta know what you got.
They'll all break loose given the right set of events.

Iffy rubber may contribute to problems but rarely are the single cause.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
Yes, I do know that slippy, 'double filling' feeling when traction seems to mush out and away from you.

It's almost as bad for you as the oreos are in the long run.
redk

Try to eliminate those carbs from your diet for a week.
You don't need 'em.

Oh!  This was about tires!
...Most likely the best investment you can make for any scooter...

knowitall77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »
Makes me wonder if the tires should be run below prescribed psi to increase contact patch

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:10:42 AM »
Makes me wonder if the tires should be run below prescribed psi to increase contact patch

Negative on that one. Lower pressures cause your tires to squirm more. A larger contact patch on a squirmy tire is not a good thing.  Also the lower pressures cause the tire to deform more while driving and increases the heat in the tire. A couple of decades of mountain biking has taught me to find that happy medium between tire pressure and grip. Best to go with the recommended pressure and get a good quality tire.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

knowitall77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:40 AM »
I have traveled quite a bit to countries like Italy , India ,Thailand etc where people ride scooters not because they like riding it but they can't afford anything else. The contact patch is least of their worries, nor they have the money to run and change stock tires because the manufacturer put shoddy tires to save on sticker. People in those places do just fine. When I think of cheap, sure, put cheap plastic, barebones accessories, detuned underpowered engines but not shoddy tires. That is a gamble with life and limb. I don't know how Kymco got away with their Chen shin tires. Must have paid off the right people

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:49 AM »
I have traveled quite a bit to countries like Italy , India ,Thailand etc where people ride scooters not because they like riding it but they can't afford anything else. The contact patch is least of their worries, nor they have the money to run and change stock tires because the manufacturer put shoddy tires to save on sticker. People in those places do just fine. When I think of cheap, sure, put cheap plastic, barebones accessories, detuned underpowered engines but not shoddy tires. That is a gamble with life and limb. I don't know how Kymco got away with their Chen shin tires. Must have paid off the right people

There you have it end of discussion, lol. Thanks knowitall77. :)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
It wasn't me, it wasn't me.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Cheng Shin tires, and Kenda, are DOT approved, or they wouldn't be on our scooters.
Budget tires are just that - and are sold by various reputable parts houses in the USA. It is my understanding that hard, long wearing tire compounds must give up something in traction.
To recommend better rubber for our scooters (or autos - my Scion came with a lousy Bridgestone compound) is not the same as saying stock tires are deadly! They are not.

Now, the discussion of fuel grades and oil types has gone too long, wanting. Score remains 40 All. Who's turn is it to serve?
Stig
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:27:55 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
Cheng Shin tires, and Kenda, are DOT approved, or they wouldn't be on our scooters.
Budget tires are just that - and are sold by various reputable parts houses in the USA. It is my understanding that hard, long wearing tire compounds must give up something in traction.
To recommend better rubber for our scooters (or autos - my Scion came with a lousy Bridgestone compound) is not the same as saying stock tires are deadly! They are not.

Now, the discussion of fuel grades and oil types has gone too long, wanting. Score remains 40 All. Who's turn is it to serve?
Stig

I only use and only recommend oil X. It has a higher sheer resistance, a higher temperature resistance, a better viscosity across all temperatures, it is a true class  9 synthetic, it is approved for  extended drains (but of course I dont), has a superior lubricity, is SAE and JP7 approved,  improves fuel mileage, and can be cheaply bought at the big box store. . In short, my oil will beat up your oil. Every time!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:59:06 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »

I only use and only recommend oil X. It has a higher sheer resistance, a higher temperature resistance, a better viscosity across all temperatures, it is a true class  9 synthetic, it is approved for  extended drains (but of course I dont), has a superior lubricity, is SAE and JP7 approved,  improves fuel mileage, and can be cheaply bought at the big box store. . In short, my oil will beat up your oil. Every time!  ;)

"Lubricity"  !!

Latin?

Stig
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:10:19 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »
The deforming/heating from lowering the pressure also leads to blow outs. And decreased fuel efficiency.

I'm a bit wary of the Cheng Shin tires, especially in the rain. Sure, they should be allowed to be sold, but I don't think they should be stock. I didn't realize they were on Kymcos, but my old Yamaha scooter had them. Half helmets are also DOT approved, but less safe.

Kendas have glowing reviews though, and I never had a problem with it on my rear wheel.

As far as the wheel size goes, I don't think it makes a difference for the contact patch area, just the shape. Fat and short for small wheels, long and skinny for large wheels.

knowitall77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »

Stig
My Wrangler and Camaro came with fantastic stock tires. The Wranger , I changed to geolanders specifically for the looks but the stock bridgestones on my Camaro were amazing. By bicycle has kendas. They have been good. I think we can narrow it down to the ching lings. Sound more like a menu item in a Chinese restaurant than tires.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
"Lubricity"  !!

Latin?

Stig

From Websters dictionary;

Definition of lubricity
plural lubricities

:  the property or state of being lubricious; also :  the capacity for reducing friction

That being said, I was just having fun slinging some serious you-know-what out there about the endless motor oil debate. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:43:04 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
Right. So that's one vote for diesel and one for vegetable oil.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()