Author Topic: Plow  (Read 1904 times)

bondo478

• View Profile
Plow
« on: October 30, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
Hi all! New guy here waiting on my new 450i UXV Prime to arrive in the next few days. I've seen a couple topics on it,  but I was wondering what plows will actually fit this machine.  It seems no one really makes a specific mount to fit them that I've seen.  I saw some mention of the Cabela's universal, but can't seen to find one.  The Kolpin universal adjustable width looks promising but I'm concerned about the strength of the blade.  I also wasn't sure if mounts for the Prowler 500 would work since I believe they're basically the same?  Can anyone point me to a unit that definitely fits and works well? Any direction would be much appreciated.  I look forward to learning all I can about these really cool machines!

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Plow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 12:12:43 AM »
Welcome to the Kymco family!  I have a 2015 model 450i, and when I bought my machine there were no mounts made for this machine.  I found the plow I wanted but the so called universal mount was worthless.  I wanted a mid mount rather than a dront mount after reading some horror stories about frame damage from front mounted snow plows.  So I ended up making my own mount attach point by connecting the 3 cross members into a common point of attachment.  This way the load is spread over the 3 crossmembers. I ended up using a Quad Boss Pile Driver quick attach and release plow. Extremely heavy duty, in fact heavier than needed.  However the quick on and off is the real advantage. Also how much snow will you be pushing in reality.  I live in north west Ohio where snow is little to moderate so I went overboard in my build and quality of plow, but no regrets as I know I will never wear it out ad I can attac in less than 5 mins and off in 2 mins.  I have looked at the Cabelas unit and they seem a good buy unless you have extreme plowing conditions expected. Good luck and keep us posted.
   I also bouht a soft side enclosure from Eagle Pacific that is really great with a small propane heater so I can plow snow in comfort when snow plowing time is here.

bondo478

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
Thank you! I am not opposed to making something. I live in upstate NY, so we can get a good amount of snow at times.  I do have a tractor with loader of we get really dumped on.  I was hoping they were starting to make stuff to fit these,  but it seems like not much aftermarket available.  My dealer said they have had luck with a universal KFI on them so that could be an option.  I'm definitely going to check out the soft cab,  that would be great in the winter!

Fischman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
Try American Manufacturing, Eagle Plows. I see they make a mount for the 450. I'vee had mine on my uxv500se for 5 years now. Very well made!
2013 Uxv 500se

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 01:55:31 AM »
Just did a little browsing and found a few companies that make plows and mounts for the 450i,  most are front mounts, but they are popular as they get the blade higher.  I prefer the midmount, that is why I made my own.  Kymco has become popular enough that more folks are making afternarket stuff for them, just gotta do some searchin!!!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 02:48:01 PM »
I'm having a Moose plow, put on mine,  not sure what model, I just told dealer I wanted a suitable plow and synthetic rope on the winch.  With all the parts & accessory inavailability going on in this covid pandemic,  they verified supply & delivery before ordering, Moose plow with Warn 3500 synthetic rope winch is what they came up with.  hoping it's ready today, or tomorrow.

They've had my 450i all summer waiting for parts from Kymco, they finally said screw Kymco, and source some aftermarket ball joints, Kymco did deliver on the axle fairly quickly, but bearings, as well as ball joints were not available, due to covid mfg & warehouse shutdown in China

RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
Ouch, that is a long wait!  For what it may be worth,  I have found a number of Ebay posts for Kymco 450i parts, such as brake pads, ball joints, and wheel bearings.  Also posted about another dealer "Leesons"  that uses Ebay and is a Kymco dealer that has gotten parts for me. You might contact them and see if parts are availiable for your machine. 
  I see a number of companies now make plow kits for the Kymco 450i machine, moose has made good stuff in the past, can only assume they still do.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »
I got a complete plow kit for my machine last year. It's a KFI, and I bought the kit on ebay. Mount fit perfectly. Push tube is great and plow blade very sturdy. Last winter was very mild, so I only ended up using it once, but it worked great. No complaints at all. I am not sure what the concerns are regarding front-mount plows, but I am not sure how this particular setup could result in much damage to the machine.

You can attach the plow to the machine in literally one minute using two hitch pins. Then just hook your winch up to the unit and you are ready to go.

Here's a link. Can't go wrong for the price for a complete plow package. Steel blade is very heavy duty, and mount allows you to run the blade straight or angles left or right to varying degrees. There is a simple spring-loaded adjustments to pivot the blade and very easy to do by yourself. Just use the winch to lift the blade off the ground, pull the pin, pivot where you want it and let go. Done.

http://tiny.cc/0cb5tz
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 06:22:47 PM »
Well, I'm glad I stopped in at the dealer before they delivered my UTV with plow mounted, walked back to the back storage lot with the service manager, I didn't even have to say anything, he says I'll see if we got a wider plow in house (meaning they will take one off another machine)

Why would anyone mount a 48" plow on a 54" wide machine ?
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »
They probably never noticed!!!   And we wonder why companies have help wanted signs all over.....

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »
They probably never noticed!!!   And we wonder why companies have help wanted signs all over.....

my dealer is currently looking for 3 service technicians, they are finally getting mine out of the back lot after being in there all summer waiting for parts, they have close to 100 units waiting for parts, all brands, Kymco is not the only manufacturer that is slow on the parts train right now.
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
The company I retired from has a large supplier od auto parts next door.  Being a fairly large company they pay well and have great benefits.  However they have difficulty keeping people as no one wants to show up for work every day!  The average new hire leaves within 30 days, many are gone in less than 2 weeks.  The average new hire calls off work twice in the first week.  About half just fail to show up for work within first two weeks, no call, no show...automatic firing!!  They even offer a 500 bonus after 90 days if you dont miss any work....rarely do they ever pay that out!!    In my area there are help wanted signs all over the place,  yet they cant find any good help.  Instead of handing out bags of food, mabey they should schedule job intervues!!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 09:53:08 PM »
I don't see a high turnover, the Service Manager has been there for 18 years, most of the technicians nearly as long, they are just experiencing an increase in volume, the sales staff is going balls out, lots of new service customers, I have been dealing with the same people since I have been a customer, 21 years now, the owner has been a client of mine for nearly as long.
RandyO
IBA#9560

bondo478

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:33:44 AM »
Thank you all for the info! The machine took a bit longer to come in then I  expected,  but I was finally able to pick it up yesterday.  I'm really loving it! Looking at it,  being a prime,  it has the front grill guard and I'm concerned that would interfere with a front mount.  Do any of you that have plows on them have the grill guard?  Does anyone have any pics of their mid or front mount with or without the grill guard?  Hoping that could help me figure out what might work.  Thank you again!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 11:28:35 PM »
My machine came from the factory with the winch mount installed...the front gard is an aftermarket so I would assume that it fits right over the winch mount.  Check with your dealer as I cant imagine that being an issue.  You will have to take some things apart to get into that winch mount plate.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()