Author Topic: May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month  (Read 73 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month
« on: May 07, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »
"The National Safety Council instituted Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month in May.
As the riding season kicks off during summer, it’s crucial to remind everyone on the road to take extra care and respect each other.
Motorcyclists face higher risks due to factors like lack of seat belts, airbags, and the open nature of motorcycles.
Other drivers must also be cautious and aware of motorcyclists to prevent accidents.
Motorcycles account for only 3% of registered vehicles in the U.S., yet they make up 14% of fatal crashes each year."

Motorcyclists:
Always wear a helmet and protective gear.
Be visible by using headlights, reflective clothing, and proper lane positioning.
Avoid riding in blind spots of other vehicles.
Follow traffic rules and ride defensively.

Other Drivers:
Be aware of motorcyclists on the road.
Give motorcycles enough space and respect their right of way.
Check mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes.
Avoid distractions while driving.

You guys know all this, so nothing new here.....except for me to add, please do not skip wearing the proper gear. Sometimes it's hot, often it is a chore to get into it, nevertheless!

And remember - way too many bike crashes are of the single vehicle nature. "He simply left the road ...."

Ride safe.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 08:39:29 AM »
"often it is a chore to get into it,..."

I would add and out of it!!  But you're right ATGATT is definitely the way to travel on 2 wheels.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()