Author Topic: Are you still armored in the cold?  (Read 604 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Are you still armored in the cold?
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »
Have read lots of winter scooter riding wear descriptions......but, often seems riders are not wearing their armored gear - just weather proof garments.
Are you still armored during your wintery rides?
Stig
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:33:37 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Are you still armored in the cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:33 PM »
I was. My armored mesh riding jacket was roomy enough to layer up underneath. My riding pants were too. They also had a detachable insulated lining that could also be worn under the mesh armored pants pants and by themselves once I got to my destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
yes, armored, always. I have 3 jackets (mesh, perforated leather, and winter textile) and 2 pants (summer mesh and winter textile insulated). Recently bought a real pair of winter motorcycle gloves so I didn't have to wear ski gloves.  Gotta be armored when I ride. Hope others are, too.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
Think smarter not harder.Always dress for the ride and fall.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 10:50:40 PM »
Padded jackets/pants....do not prevent accident.  They only help maybe, after you have screwed up.

My age, 79, hit something hard, I will probably  splat anyway.

This AM 30 degrees F, wore my Aerostich Darien pants knee pads stay in, if nothing else they way provide some insulation, Combat Lite boots (heavy) instead of Darien jacket with pads out, Used feather jacket, sweat shirt, close fitting tee shirt, long sleeve tee short, lite feather thin jacket over sweat shirt, then the big feather jacket.....was comfortable, no binding at elbows/not cold.  Langlitz over the cuff gloves

Instead of dressing for the crash---better to get some skills/experience/pay attention to avoid the crash---I speak from,  65 years of doing this even in cold damp climates (Germany 20 years).   TN just cold sometimes and I do not have to commute to work anymore!

Taking a skilled rider's course never hurt anybody.  Ex/good dirt bike riders do seem to have good bike control kills.

And of course ride a lot.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 01:21:53 AM »
Padded jackets/pants....do not prevent accident.  They only help maybe, after you have screwed up.

My age, 79, hit something hard, I will probably  splat anyway.

This AM 30 degrees F, wore my Aerostich Darien pants knee pads stay in, if nothing else they way provide some insulation, Combat Lite boots (heavy) instead of Darien jacket with pads out, Used feather jacket, sweat shirt, close fitting tee shirt, long sleeve tee short, lite feather thin jacket over sweat shirt, then the big feather jacket.....was comfortable, no binding at elbows/not cold.  Langlitz over the cuff gloves

Instead of dressing for the crash---better to get some skills/experience/pay attention to avoid the crash---I speak from,  65 years of doing this even in cold damp climates (Germany 20 years).   TN just cold sometimes and I do not have to commute to work anymore!

Taking a skilled rider's course never hurt anybody.  Ex/good dirt bike riders do seem to have good bike control kills.

And of course ride a lot.
Of course the main goal is to never have an accident. But neither humans, the weather, or circumstances allow 100% success at avoiding accidents. I admit that I was somewhat inattentive when I wrecked. But others weren’t. Yes, the impact from the sign shattered my leg. No armor could have prevented that damage. But the helmet prevented a head injury. And the armored jacket prevented road rash. So all I had to worry about was my leg. Of course it wouldn’t have helped in a direct impact. But it helped what it helped. Road rash at 50 mph would have been very painful and possibly life threatening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 04:04:53 PM »
I have summer and winter gear.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
under armor
RandyO
IBA#9560

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 03:28:45 AM »
Still wearing my armored jacket, and full face component helmet. I've had to use my heavy winter gloves only twice. My armored gloved can't protect against the cold, but I'm nearing the end of my teaching semester and the need for a morning commute.

- Wolf

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 03:35:13 AM »
I wear more stuff in the winter so if anything I'm more armored. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Yeah - all armoured gear in winter, just more layers above and below. I've had all my accidents in winter.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()