Author Topic: Anyone had this problem?  (Read 4582 times)

desliderman

• View Profile
Anyone had this problem?
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »
Hello all!

I have a 2012 Xciting Ri with the ABS and about 9500 miles on it.  It's been a pretty good scoot but I have had a problem that manifests itself as a resonance / growl when under load.  It seemed to be coming from the variator area.

My dealer had several other complaints from Xciting owners of a simialr noise.  When the clutch (bell housing) was removed there was a lot of grease impregnated into the clutch pads.  Apparently, due to defective parts (seals), or a little too much grease upon assembly, grease is getting into the clutch assembly.

They got approval from Kymco to change out the clutch pack.  That lasted about a week.  The problem and accompaning noise has returned.  When they pulled the bell housing off the clutch, the grease was back and imbedded in the clutch pads.

Apparently, they've gotten approval to change out clutch assemblies for more than just my model.  I know that car manufacturers put out "technical service bulletins" and wondered if this is the scooter equivilant?

For now they're awaiting approval from Kymco for another clutch assembly.  I am concerned that this slipping could give me problems on a long ride.  I'm planning on doing such a ride of 2000 miles in a few weeks.

What think all of you?

ce

• View Profile
Re: Anyone had this problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
It's good to hear that certified Kymco mechanics have checked this out, and could find nothing amiss.

I think it's a noise that is inherent to the Kymco engine, I call it graveling, and it is noted in my 500 X, my 250 X, and even my Grand Vista.

When I get some more miles on one of the scoots, I'll try a Malossi variator, and I even have a J Costa for the 500, but at present, there is nothing wrong with any of these machines, so I'm not going to pick them apart and re-engineer fully functioning scooters.

That's what I have Chinese scooters for, research and development, and performance tinkering.

I've already dicked around with the Kymco carbs and exhaust, and while it was fun, it didn't produce any grand improvement, just a better sound and a little more pep.

I did try some 18 gram Dr, Pulley sliders in the 250X, but the RPMs were too high, so I went back to stock rollers. The tinklinking sound that had disconcerted me at first seems to have abated over time, if it returns, or I get bored, I'll open up the CVT again.

Kymcos are awesome, so don't try to change too much as long as it's just a funny noise.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
Actually, the grease imbedded in the clutch pads is a problem.  The noise I hear is the clutch slipping.  That noise actually resonates and appears to be coming from the variator area.

Twice, while waiting for the new clutch assembly, the dealer cleaned up the pads.  The noise went away until they became soaked.

I think it's a bad seal that is allowing grease get into the clutch assembly. The seal is part of that assembly.

Spindrift

• View Profile
Re: Sv: Anyone had this problem?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
Mine has only 550km and I also noticed grease coming out from the axle bolt (I think) on the right side. No noice or issue with transmission. Last trip was 200km and no grease. I guess it was a little too much during the assembly. Not to worry.

Take off the cover and use degreaser and brake cleaner on drive and driven pulleys. Blow compressed air to dry everything to 100%

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
Spindrift:  I'm glad you don't have the noise.  It's actually pretty disturbing to hear.  That being said, I'll keep an eye on what you've found.  Question..is the right side you refer to when facing the scoot or sitting on it?

Spindrift

• View Profile
Re: Sv: Re: Anyone had this problem?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
Spindrift:  I'm glad you don't have the noise.  It's actually pretty disturbing to hear.  That being said, I'll keep an eye on what you've found.  Question..is the right side you refer to when facing the scoot or sitting on it?

When I'm sitting on it. There are no grease back there (yes, in the wheel bearings and bearing for the axle) normally. Just gear oil.

Clean, clean, clean...

Have you got grease on the clutchpads then the clutch can be ruined. Important to clean the clutch bell aswell.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:13:57 AM »
No, I haven't had this happen.  Sounds like either you've had TWO defective clutch packs in a row, which would point toward a problem at the factory.  OR  The "grease" is really tranny oil coming off the shaft.  Are they sure it's grease?  I would imagine tranny oil, once it gets mixed real good with pad dust could look like grease.  At any rate, it wouldn't be terribly unusual for a number of parts of the same batch to be manufactured incorrectly.  If that's the case, Kymco may not know yet which parts or how many were incorrectly made so it would be hard for them to know when they're sending a good one or a bad one.

Define clutch pack for us please.  Does that include the driven pulley or part of it?

I know there's a good bit of grease inside my driven pulley's torque section. I used to worry what would happen if it leaked but it never has.  There are two thin rubber o-rings that hold it in.  Whenever I put that assembly back together it can be felt just how tight a fit that is!  Once or twice the top o-ring got out of it's groove when I started pushing it together but I was careful enough and worried about it enough to notice and got it right before proceeding.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:36:01 AM by Hoolander2 »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »
Could be a bad oil/trans fluid seal on the inside of the case behind clutch pulley halfs, or from grease seal inside clutch pulley half mechanizim. Remove entire clutch essembley. Replace bad seal (either one or both). If it happens again then something is warped.  :-*

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:08 PM »
When I say clutch pack I believe it's the whole clutch assembly.  The dealership has replaced mine once and it looks like they will do it again.  Before and inbetween, they've cleaned the pads twice.  I was told that the clutch assembly was also replaced on two other xcitings,  a downtown 300 and people gt 300.  All models were 2012s and all had the impregnated pads.

They were pretty sure it was grease and not gear oil.  They said something about a manufactured lot of scooters that got overpacked at the factory.

Hoolander2:  I went back and read your question...When I refer to clutch assembly, what I saw them change was the bell housing, the part with the pads ..basically, and all the parts that fit over the shaft?  That also would include the part where the drive belt goes.  So for me,  I guess that's the entire clutch.

That's really all I know.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:35:17 PM by desliderman »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:32 AM »
Ok, though I still have a few doubts.  Seems, then, that the replacement clutch pack was overpacked as well, wouldn't you say?  Or there must be some other related defect.  Anyway, glad Kymco and your dealer are on the case.  Seems like they're genuinely commited to getting it fixed right.  This may eventually lead to a recall/repair notice.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
Oh, and to your point in your original post.  I would NOT go on a 2000 mile ride untill I was sure this was fixed.  That means having ridden a few hundred miles and have it checked again first.   ;)

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Oh, and to your point in your original post.  I would NOT go on a 2000 mile ride untill I was sure this was fixed.  That means having ridden a few hundred miles and have it checked again first.   ;)

That's what I'm thinking....

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
I had my 500 for about 6 months or so. Like a Lion growing up! My growl is ever present and louder plus seemingly to have a certain amount of vibration along with that. Actually, sort of embarassing for a big unit like this.

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »
There are a large number of folks on this forum who have owned a 500 for a number of years and have posted a good deal of information.  Like the original post on this thread asked - has anyone else experienced the problem he described - that being grease or oil contamination in their CVT?

Odd noises can be a puzzle.  Noise can also a pretty subjective thing to describe. I recall one post that described a noise described as an "elephant trumpet", ce, I believe descbribed a noise he called "gravelling." I experienced, for only two or three takeoffs, as noise that might be the closer to an elephant trumpet last week on a long ride.  My noise disappeared and has not yet returned. My Burgman 650's CVT made a noise like a diesel engine - a noise quite common to that model.   My old shovelhead Harley made noises that defied description. I guess my point is - perhaps as ce describes, there may be some noise common to this model - and maybe new owners just haven't gotten used to common noises made by the bike.    

Contamination is another thing though.   So - are there any earlier posts addressing the contamination issue?  I bought a 2012 that was manufactured in March of 2012.  If there was a bad run of 2012s and I'm one - Oh well - but I'll keep everyone posted.

I owned a Vespa 300 GTS.  There was a fuel pump problem with that model that Vespa was ignoring.  Folks discovered the magnitude of the problem on forums such as this one - and after considerable pressure Vespa finally issued a recall.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
I have never heard of this problem before on any site. It could just be a bad grease seal in the clutch assembley? Or over packed? If it happens again, I would insist they put in a whole new clutch/rear pulley assembley as something may be warped or not aligned?  :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()