Author Topic: How a kill/run switch works ????  (Read 1128 times)

madhatter4119

• View Profile
How a kill/run switch works ????
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »

I haven't found the No Spark issue on my 02 ZX50 Super Fever...I was trying to follow a YouTube video on testing for spark on a 50cc scooter...When I was testing my ZX50 I
notice that my engine would turn over regardless if it was on the kill or run setting...This
seems strange to me...if its in the kill position , I would think that it wouldn't let the engine spin if in the kill position...So, I had to ask...is this normal ??? I didn't have much luck trying to follow the how to video...He had a volt meter that beeps and stuff...My meter is an El Cheapo from Walmart or Flea market a friend gave me...He didn't show the setting...so I'm not sure if my meter was set right to test the switch to see if its preventing spark...When the engine turns over regardless of how the switch is set...might be the problem and its not letting the scooter to fire...????  Thanks

MJR

• View Profile
Re: How a kill/run switch works ????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
My 700 cranks with the kill switch off, normal.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
    Crap...if its normal for it to crank in the kill position...than that isn't why I'm not getting spark at the plug...Thanks

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »

I have a manual and seen the list of possible issues...What I notice with that list...It does not have the Run/Kill switch on that list...In fact, the manual doesn't have a wiring diagram for the switch or the bike itself in it...Yet, the switch can prevent a Non Spark issue...I want to by-pass this switch so it provides spark whenever the key is turned on but I can't seem to find what color wires run the switch...I need to figure out how to get the plastic off the handle bar so I can get to the switch...I thought that one of the bigger connectors up front has the switch wire in it...but not knowing which wires run to the switch...I can't jump the wires there...but getting the top plastic off the bars is stopping me from getting to the switch...Like they say...If its not one thing...it's another...If anyone can help me getting the plastic off the handle bars so I can get to the switch or knows another way to by-pass the Run/Kill switch at a another connection or what color the switch wires are...Please share...Once I find out if its the Run/Kill switch that is prevent spark at the plug...I'll order a new one or install a toggle switch somewhere...Thanks All

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
From little reading I've done - the kill switch is the least likely cause for no spark.
A few things can go bad on a 14 yr old scooter.
So, you've checked >
Plug cap - bad connection onto plug
plug lead loose to cap
coil bad
CDI bad
stator bad

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

madhatter4119

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:14:39 PM »

Its from the testing I did at the CDI on the black/white wire on the two prong CDI
connector, which I believe is to the Run/Kill switch, is why I want to by-pass the Run/Kill switch...the reading indicated that the switch might be bad...not being good at doing
these test...by-passing the Run/Kill switch at this point will tell me if it is the switch or i
need to keep testing other parts...If anyone knows of a way for me to by-pass the Run/Kill switch on a Kymco ZX50 Super Fever....Please let me know ASAP...Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()