Author Topic: "You don't know what you've got till you loose it."  (Read 5082 times)

Mike Green

• View Profile
"You don't know what you've got till you loose it."
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
Since my Xciting was wrecked I've come to realize how much I miss scooting. I would come home from work, put on my safety gear and ride down to the State park near my home. Then I would head for Jasmine Hills and Harrogate Springs Road which were the start up the side of the mountain.
No traffic to speak of and up and down and around these country roads until dusk and then I would head for home, totally relaxed and recharged. Then home for supper and quality time with my dear wife. Now I'm spending too much time on this forum and others. I guess I'm trying to live vicariously
through my forum friends. Maybe I'll have her home in a couple of weeks. Hope you guys continue to
enjoy this wonderful pursuit of happiness.
Mike

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: "You don't know what you've got till you loose it."
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:02:52 AM »
How did you wreck, Mike?  I missed the story on that, but if you've already told it here, a link would be appreciated. I hate to hear of anyone having a downed bike. Thanks.

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
About three weeks ago I was riding my favorite ride over in Jasmine Hills and realized that it was getting dark so started home. Wasn't ready to quite so I took a detour and by that time it was pitch dark. Heading home and made a left turn from the stop sign and as I accelerated there she was. A huge white tale doe frozen by my light. It was instantaneous. reflex action squeezed the brakes, the wheels locked and I went airborne over the windscreen. I must have slid on asphalt for
about 10-15 feet. Was wearing coat and pants with armor and they were shredded like tissue paper. Made the impulsive choice to change helmets before I left home and put on my full face helmet instead of the 3/4. That was the first thing that made contact was my face or rather the faceshield. I'm lying in the road with what felt like internal injuries and knew I was dying. A man and his son came to my aide in his truck. He said he was working on his lawnmower and heard the crash and then my screams. His son drove the truck and took me home and he rode the XC behind us. Woke up the next morning in excrutiating pain. Went to the ER and had 5 broken ribs, torn cartlage in my right knee, and broken bone in my right foot. Pretty lucky considering. It was the closest I've ever come to dying and the most freightening ordeal of my life. I had nightmares for two weeks after. The insurance is covering all repairs to the sccot which is cosmetic and I'm making a good recovery. Thanks for your kindness in asking.
Mike

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:16:38 AM »
About three weeks ago I was riding my favorite ride over in Jasmine Hills and realized that it was getting dark so started home. Wasn't ready to quite so I took a detour and by that time it was pitch dark. Heading home and made a left turn from the stop sign and as I accelerated there she was. A huge white tale doe frozen by my light. It was instantaneous. reflex action squeezed the brakes, the wheels locked and I went airborne over the windscreen. I must have slid on asphalt for
about 10-15 feet. Was wearing coat and pants with armor and they were shredded like tissue paper. Made the impulsive choice to change helmets before I left home and put on my full face helmet instead of the 3/4. That was the first thing that made contact was my face or rather the faceshield. I'm lying in the road with what felt like internal injuries and knew I was dying. A man and his son came to my aide in his truck. He said he was working on his lawnmower and heard the crash and then my screams. His son drove the truck and took me home and he rode the XC behind us. Woke up the next morning in excrutiating pain. Went to the ER and had 5 broken ribs, torn cartlage in my right knee, and broken bone in my right foot. Pretty lucky considering. It was the closest I've ever come to dying and the most freightening ordeal of my life. I had nightmares for two weeks after. The insurance is covering all repairs to the sccot which is cosmetic and I'm making a good recovery. Thanks for your kindness in asking.
Mike

Dang, man!  Sorry to hear that.

I have had a couple of close encounters with deer, myself. They're no joke even in a car. I killed one in a 1984 Grand Prix, which took out the whole front end of the car (which was still mobile, and I was unhurt, blessed be). The latest encounter was just this afternoon, as I left work. A yearling crossed the road about 30 yds. in front of me on Hollendale Rd. I had time to slow to a safe speed, and watch it pass into the woods across the road.

I hope you continue to improve and get back out there on the X500 SOONEST.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »
I miss my scoot the moment I park it... ;D You didn't loose it Mike, just postponed some riding and spend time with other equally nice stuff. Like you said, they will replace damaged parts and not repair... you'll have a new scoot in no time.   You have to "stop and smell the roses" sometimes... But being stubborn (maybe) as you are, the deer had to do it for you.... get well...  ;)

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:14:12 AM »
Thanks JP,
There are a lot of deer out here where I live. Fort Toulouse is a state park and sanctuary and there are large herds. I very seldom just encounter just one. I always wait and there are sometimes 5 or more following behind the first one to cross. I kad one take out the entire hood and windshield on my Lincoln Towncar a few years back.
Vivo my friend your words of wisdom are always right on and I welcome them. I quess it's late afternoon in the Pacific basin so enjoy your lunch as I retire to face the same day that is almost over for you. Let me know if you see anything happening to me that I should know about.
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:27:43 AM »
If it were in my country, those deer would be venison stew!!!   ;D ;D ;D Bring you umbrella, you might also have rain there... been raining here for weeks. 

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:42:31 AM »
Thanks JP,
There are a lot of deer out here where I live. Fort Toulouse is a state park and sanctuary and there are large herds. I very seldom just encounter just one. I always wait and there are sometimes 5 or more following behind the first one to cross.

You're not that far south of me, but that looks to be a lot more rural than Metro Davidson/Nashville, yeah. I'm pretty amazed at the wildlife found here in the small pockets of wooded areas. I encounter deer somewhat regularly inside the city limits, as well as red fox, coyotes and all the usual suspects like skunk, groundhog, wild turkey, et al.

At the plant last Monday, we had a peregrine falcon electrocute itself, taking out our main power to the plant and putting us on diesel generator for three hours. Sad to lose a bird that's quite rare to our area, even as it is making a big comeback in places with cliffs and other such craggy habitats.

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 04:40:11 AM »
good thing your ok.

this is a lesson. ive always  been told if a deer is there, just acvelerate and hold on.

what say this board?

bootscooterboogie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:35 AM »
good thing your ok.

this is a lesson. ive always  been told if a deer is there, just acvelerate and hold on.

what say this board?

Well...  Considering that deer are nothing but lean muscle and I've seen them completely tear apart the front ends of tractor trailers when hit, I'm thinking that you're not going to fair that well riding a two wheeled machine made of plastic and no protective crash cage going 40 - 50 mph.  Also, after being hit, deer sometimes go into shock and have been known to trample people when they get out of their cars to check out the damage.  So, in summary, my personal answer would be, "No, I'm not going to gun it and hope for the best." LOL
2009 Kymco Agility - 50cc
1999 Yamaha Zuma - 50cc (sold but not forgotten)

"If stupid people were trees...  I'd be living in the enchanted forest..."

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:24 AM »
I'll hit the brakes and hope for the best....   ;D   It's a no no to swerve either....

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »
It was a fright reaction with me. There was no time to think about accelerating or stopping. I just clinched the brake levers. I wonder if I had ABS things would have been different. Oh well it is as it is.
Mike
JP,
It sounds like beautiful scooting country where you live.
And Vivo venison is a primary source of meat in my part of the country. If prepared properly it is very lean low fat delicious main course. My son is a very good hunter and had his deer processed and sold it to a Doctor friend of ours who was a triathelete. We seldom ever have it in my home. My wife says it taste "gamey".

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
Damn Vivo!
It was light rain and drizzle most of the day. You're creeping me out again so if you could go on line and pull up the horse races and tell me who wins I can place bets and we can enjoy a fortune.
Actually it was an overcast rainy fall day. This is the time of the year that I really love. It only gets better with colder weather, a cardagan sweater, a fire in the fireplace, my Golden Retriever lying next to my recliner watching my beloved Auburn Tigers playing football. And of course a bowl of steaming hot chili. Heaven! I can remember as a child growing up in the tropics how much I missed winter. I guess that's where I get it from.
Mike

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »
Haha Mike... It stopped raining here... the typhoon made a u-turn and headed for Vietnam... prayers heard... a typhoon making a u-turn seldom happens :o

http://www.typhoon2000.ph/activetrack.gif

Chili!!! I've my own recipe for mexican chili... pure heart burn...  ;)

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
Oh Mike Green...The deer ran into me last year.  I now have Hopkin's Electronic
Deer Alerts on almost everything.  (Around $15 from E-Trailer).  My repair settlement was $1,400.00
including labor which I did myself (No Injury).   Two week's ago about 9:30 am was my first encounter
using the alarm.  6 Point Buck eating on the edge of the on-coming lane in a very shaded area.
He stopped raised his head and just stood still.  I slowed down and then honked my air horn
and he ran off away from me.  These alarms chirp and they have a video clip on E-Trailer.  However,
they are highly effective on people too.  Riding in front of a Walmart,  At an Intersection,
Passing someone.  Any case where people don't pay any attention.   If you have a WOLO or Nautilus
air horn,  you can epoxy the alarm to the disk on the horn.  My alarm is on anytime there's woods around.

Helmets...Usually the first thing that hit the ground is your head.  I had a 1/2 helmet with shield.
Pushed my glasses into my eyebrow for 22 stitches.  This was before the deer encounter. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()