Author Topic: '07 X500 shutter/jerk on throttle up  (Read 3320 times)

Vanceman201

• View Profile
'07 X500 shutter/jerk on throttle up
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
Hoping some of you mechanics...zombie, chandler, sissy, etc...could explain something.
My ride: '07-carb-2,500 miles-
Today...80 degrees, rel.humidity about 70%.
At the beginning of the ride I'm getting a significant shutter/jerk after every stop....
level, hills, etc...
Doesn't seem to matter whether I jam the gas...or am more gradual with throttle up.
Calms down after 2-3 secs....or 15-20 mph.
Now....after about 15 minutes of riding it smooths out considerably.
Can any of you gear heads explain mechanically what might be happening here...
Thanks and cheers from Western North Carolina.
Steve
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

ce

• View Profile
Re: '07 X500 shutter/jerk on throttle up
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »
One of the rollers is stuck, open variator and examine
Belt is slipping, see above

Clutch pads or bell or both glazed, sand 'em both down with 220 grit

Open that CVT cover and check it out
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ChandlerScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:41:28 AM »
Sorry Steve, I'm no use in this section... Talk TR6's and then I can help!  Aside from that, my bike has only 2500 miles so no issues of experience yet!
Simon
2009 Kymco Xciting Ri With no mods.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »
Do what ce said. I'd just order the parts, and have them ready. Rollers , Belt,. Maybe new filters, plug too.
It may be a worn drive boss or var bushing but that you will know when its open.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
At only 2500 miles it could not be any worn parts. And if a roller was stuck it would do it at all times, and he says it stops after 15-20 minutes? I would run a can of sea foam through it first and see how it runs then? I don't think it could be glazed at this mileage, or by setting around? Try this and get back to us. Could be as simple as a clogged pilot jet? :-*

Vanceman201

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
Hey guys....thanks much for the input.  Right...only 2,500 miles.  I live about an hour from the N.A. Kymco Hqtrs.
in Spartanburg, S.C.  This was a demo machine from them that I lucked on in December. 
Had big service done at about 600 miles....and the mechanic "deglazed" the clutch.  That's what has
me baffled.  Low miles was cleaned only about 1,500 miles ago.  Feels like a mechanical/hardware/belt type issue instead of fuel thing. 
Might try some Sea Foam nonetheless.
I'll let you know.  Thanks again.
"Don't believe any of what you hear and half of what you see."

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
It could be something defective? Pull the cover and remove variator after inspecting the belt. If belt is slipping bad & or comming apart, then something is wrong in var. I doubt it is problem with clutch area? Why it would go away after 15-20 minutes if it's in the drive chain? Good luck.  :-*

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
Sounds like suffers from not ridden enough. Seafoam, diaphragm not many miles plastic is still five years old.

Sounds like carb diaphragm, pilot jet.
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:20 AM »
Sorry Steve, I'm no use in this section... Talk TR6's and then I can help!  Aside from that, my bike has only 2500 miles so no issues of experience yet!
I think the TR7 was the worst Triumph ever... my 2 cents....

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
If it was a bad diaphram I would think it would do it all the time? And this would not effect take off? It would make it guttless at hwy way speeds. Agree on pilot as stated before. The slide could be hanging up do to setting around for so long? Clean it by taking the top off the carb, and pulling out slide, and you can inspect diaphram at same time. These carbed bikes have a gas heater and an electric choke. The choke may not be opening and closing right. But after complete warm up its fine? :-*

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
So it calms down after 2 - 3 seconds and goes away altogehther after 15 minutes.  Well, you have a choice to look into either the carb or the CVT.  The CVT is easier to at least look at so I myself would look there first. 

If I had to guess, I would say it sounds like one or more clutch pads are not extending at the same rate as the rest.  Or maybe even a foreign object in the clutch?  I have had pieces of springs get into the clutch and other areas. Think there is supposed to be a small amount of lubrication on the pivot points.  Can be checked by removing the CVT cover and clutch bell only.  Then pry on the pads gently with screwdriver and feel how they move.  Oh you'll need a clutch holder to get the bell off probably. 

While the CVT cover is off you can do a layman's inspection of most of the other components suggested. 

Good luck!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()