Author Topic: Outboard Oil in scooter?  (Read 1953 times)

joebro

• View Profile
Outboard Oil in scooter?
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
I have recently been informed by my local auto parts store that Amsoil will no long be producing the oil I use in my 50cc Super 9 LC. Many people have recommended there outboard oil in the link below. Does anyone have any experience using this in scooters? Will I risk damaging my motor or a loss in performance?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/outboard-100-1-pre-mix-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=ATOBC-EA
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Outboard Oil in scooter?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
I have suggested Yama lube for several years here. Outboard 2t oils are made for optimum protection in engines that run at or near full throttle. They are also designed to run at 50:1 ratios which is what most all injected scooters run at from 50% throttle up
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »
Just to add there are a ton of older 2 stroke outboards still running like a top, buy and use outboard oil without worry IMO, it may cost more (I don't know), but the protection you get will be the best option availible IMO.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Just to add there are a ton of older 2 stroke outboards still running like a top, buy and use outboard oil without worry IMO, it may cost more (I don't know), but the protection you get will be the best option availible IMO.

70.00 US per gallon for Yama lube or 16.00 a pint for what I use... Golden Spectro Platinum 32.   No brainer
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
I have recently been informed by my local auto parts store that Amsoil will no long be producing the oil I use in my 50cc Super 9 LC. Many people have recommended there outboard oil in the link below. Does anyone have any experience using this in scooters? Will I risk damaging my motor or a loss in performance?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/outboard-100-1-pre-mix-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=ATOBC-EA

So Amsoil is going to discontinue both the Dominator and Interceptor types ?
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »
70.00 US per gallon for Yama lube or 16.00 a pint for what I use... Golden Spectro Platinum 32.   No brainer

$70 a gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap Batman! Stuff used to be cheap when I was a kid and had my 15 HP Johnson!
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »
Ace Hardware here in town sells it for 68.99. The marinas are closer to 90.00.

When we were kids Bro, gas was 35 cents...

Don't be tempted for even a second to buy chainsaw or Walmart oil. It will foul, and score your cylinder in short order. That and the carbon it leaves...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 12:17:50 AM »
That's why they make 4 strokes!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
100% correct.
2T's are 1/2 as efficient but twice as much fun.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:26:56 AM »
That's why they make 4 strokes!

There is a purpose for both 2 and 4 strokes, the 2 stroke is great on small applications, light jon boats where weight is important and power down in the low RPM helps a bunch.

I could pull a skier with my 15 HP 2 stroke, doubt it would happen w a 4 stroker. (we were kids then)

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
Well after a lot of searching I was led to this page. I hope the link below will help anyone else trying to pick the right Amsoil 2 stroke oil.  ;D
http://www.thebestoil.com/AMSOILSynthetic2CycleOils/default.aspx?gclid=COSgwMfS3sACFShp7AodhH4Aig
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
Like my response above

Im surprised you were not running one of those. JASO and whats recommended I must add Saber also. I think switching over to synthetic (dominator) may have contributed to my 2 MPH gain as I'm still not sure where that gain came from but it was at the time I switched over to synthetic..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:45:45 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

An Error Has Occurred!