Author Topic: Proposed N.C. Moped Bill (House Bill 1145) PASSED, SENT TO GOV. FOR SIGNING  (Read 7480 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed N.C. Moped Bill (House Bill 1145)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »
Thanks! That is what I consider a perfect post.
All the facts, and a reasonable expectation of any sort of follow thru from the people you contacted.

That is what I personally strive to accomplish here. Nice work.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:37:59 AM »
Thanks! That is what I consider a perfect post.
All the facts, and a reasonable expectation of any sort of follow thru from the people you contacted.

That is what I personally strive to accomplish here. Nice work.

You're welcome and thanks also.  Hopefully I'll hear back soon.  Stay tuned.
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
I dont believe its a good idea. I am one hundred percent against it passing, although I am sure it will.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:24:52 AM by joebro »
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »
What part of the bill are you opposed to, "joebro"...the insurance part or other parts of it as well?

Heard back from Kerry Hall with the NC Dept. of Insurance.  He simply referred me to Tim Lucas over at the NCRB (North Carolina Rate Bureau).  I sent Mr. Lucas an email, so I will report when and/or if I get a response.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
Okay, all.  Here's a synopsis of my dialogue with Tim Lucas with the N.C. Rate Bureau...

Me to him...

Mr. Lewis,

Hope you are well.  Kerry Hall of the NC DOI suggested I start with you regarding this situation.  I sent him the exact same.

How will folks without a driver's license be able to insure a moped/scooter of 50cc or less if House Bill 1145 passes in its current form, which will require insurance?   Just curious how this is gonna work, not for me, but for some folks very dear to me that ride mopeds that do not have a driver's license.  Clue me in, please.

Him to me (can't copy and paste it, but here's the gist of what he said)... House Bill 1145 requires a person that owns a moped to register it and purchase liability insurance.   The bill will take mopeds away from the jurisdiction of the the bureau.  Since we will not be setting rates for the mopeds, it'll be up to EACH individual insurance company to determine the rates.  Insurance companies are not required to write the insurance.  Bottom line, not sure how each insurance company will handle moped insurance since they will not be required to write it and because it will not be under our jurisdiction.

Again, take this for what it's worth, as things MAY change.  I can also ad that I called my insurance co. (Geico) and their representative clearly stated to me that Geico will write an insurance policy on a moped for folks in NC regardless if they have, have not or never had a driver's license.  So, that may relieve some folks right there.  Other insurance companies, in order to "stay in the game" may offer the same, so check around.

That's all I have for now.  I still have questions regarding the inspection process of these "mopeds" going forward...will inspections take place like on a motorcycle at an official inspection station or will an official NC DMV inspector be involved, for example???  Hmmmm???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:21:31 PM by scootermaven »

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
It still baffles me that there are states that allow people to ride a motorized vehicle on public roads without any kind of license.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
It still baffles me that there are states that allow people to ride a motorized vehicle on public roads without any kind of license.

Yeah, maybe so.  I can't speak for others, but I kinda got that from your previous post on this topic.  Oh well, it is what it is and/or has bee here in the Carolina's.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:20:52 PM by scootermaven »

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
What part of the bill are you opposed to, "joebro"...the insurance part or other parts of it as well?

I am personally opposed to the whole bill. I am on the fence about the insurance though, I can see where people are coming from there.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
I think that a lot of it comes down to what you are used to.  I'm used to all of these things being mandatory, so for me not having them that way kind of baffles me.  When I lived in states that didn't have vehicle inspections it was the same way.  However, I can also understand being from a state where these things were never mandatory, then all of a sudden they are.  And, how that would be frustrating.

But, there are also driving laws that I think are totally asinine, like seatbelt laws.

I guess my big question is this, does NC have a period for public input on something like this before it's voted on?  Here in Vermont there are numerous opportunities for public input before a law is passed, and that input has swayed our state Senators.  If opposed and if there is that public input period, then organize to get people over to the Senate to talk about it as it seems to me that this is a law being put in place by people who have never driven a moped/scooter based on one or two incidents/observations.  As with most cases when it comes to policy and politics, it seems like the words/actions of a vocal minority are dictating policy for the majority.
Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
According to this House Calendar, House Bill 1145 is up for concurrence vote today, so stay tuned.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Calendars/CurrentCalendars/CurrentHouseCalendar.pdf

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
N.C. House failed to concur on proposed moped regulations today, so the measure is now off to a conference committee for some sort of compromise.  Read about by clicking-on the link below:

http://www.wral.com/nc-house-fails-to-concur-on-moped-regulations/13838974/

Maybe those of us here in N.C. won't have to hear about this for a while now, but we'll see how long it takes them to "compromise" on this bill.  So, breathe easy, enjoy your scoot/ped and ride safe in the meantime.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:10:48 AM by scootermaven »

arcanum70

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
N.C. House failed to concur on proposed moped regulations today, so the measure is now off to a conference committee for some sort of compromise.  Read about by clicking-on the link below:

http://www.wral.com/nc-house-fails-to-concur-on-moped-regulations/13838974/

Maybe those of us here in N.C. won't have to hear about this for a while now, but we'll see how long it takes them to "compromise" on this bill.  So, breathe easy, enjoy your scoot/ped and ride safe in the meantime.

With any form of government (whether it's local, county, state or federal) "compromise" usually means fill it with unnecessary pork to get the votes needed.

scootermaven

• View Profile
Well, evidently the House and Senate finally got together on the bill.  So, it was passed and now the bill is on its way to the governor for his signature.  If he signs it, it'll become law.  If he doesn't sign it, it probably will still become law.  The governor doesn't have to sign it, as I understand it.  Most likely, he will though.  Basically, if it becomes law, 50cc and less mopeds/scooters will have to be registered/tagged by July 1, 2015.  No driver's license and insurance will be required this time around, but they are going to study that part of it and may go with that also down the road.  Supposedly, you will not "have" to have a title or Cert. of Origin to register the vehicles, but you will have to fill-out an affidavit stating why you don't have the documentation and "supposedly" the dmv will let you register/title it to get it in the "system", all for a fee, of course.  There you have it, friends.

tortoise

• View Profile
House and Senate finally got together on the bill
Ratified text.

arcanum70

• View Profile
Again..at the risk of upsetting people, registering, licensing and insuring is a good idea. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()