Author Topic: replacement Bolt for esxaust  (Read 1967 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
replacement Bolt for esxaust
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:16:37 PM »
Good day everyone,

About a week ago I was doing my pre ride inspection and I noticed that one of the exhaust manifold studs and nut was missing (must have worked its way loose and fallen off) Anyway I cannot find the size of the nut or the stud that fits in the head. Does anybody know where I can purchase one from? I have already bought two off of amazon and both have not fit they appear too small. I would like to have the original stud and bolt setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRYC8CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095CJTC25/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: replacement Bolt for esxaust
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 12:43:20 AM »
Take the nut off the other side and go to Lowes, Home Depot, auto supply for studs and some kinda nut.

Think it's M6-1.0
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 08:16:16 AM »
Take the nut off the other side and go to Lowes, Home Depot, auto supply for studs and some kinda nut.

Think it's M6-1.0
Easier said than done.  All my machines have long bronze nuts, I'm guessing to make them easier to remove after several years in service?  Steel nuts will bind to the stud (because of the high temp) and break the stud on removal. Kymco parts catalog shows the nut as #90110-KFA6-900 SCREW PAN (M06X18)(SILVER).  Kawasaki shows a similar exhaust nut as #92210 NUT,8MM 92210-Y006  The photo attached is from a WalMart listing!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:03:46 AM »
@ashrauth,
this studs are M8x32
and those nuts are long M8 nuts but have instead of a 13mm head a 12mm hex head.
Means you can use ANY M8 bolt to fix your muffler again. Like CROSSBOLT suggests, see your HomeDepot of your confidence or any other hardware store.
This hardware need not to be posh quality. Hardens out anyway by time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:30:47 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

aschrauth

• View Profile
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 10:05:58 PM »
I ended up purchacing these. They are the correct dimentions but like many others stated Im afraid that over time the bolts will seize themselves onto the thread due to the heat of the exhaust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089T063K/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
@ashrauth,
this studs are M8x32
and those nuts are long M8 nuts but have instead of a 13mm head a 12mm hex head.
Means you can use ANY M8 bolt to fix your muffler again. Like CROSSBOLT suggests, see your HomeDepot of your confidence or any other hardware store.
This hardware need not to be posh quality. Hardens out anyway by time.

I ended up purchasing something similar to this. Only thing Im afraid of is the bolt welding itself to the stud due to the heat from the exaust header. Stig mentioned an ebay seller that might have what I need but Im still waiting on a response to the correct dimensions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089T063K/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 02:43:35 AM »
anti seize is your friend when it comes to exhaust header bolts!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 04:02:54 AM »
anti seize is your friend when it comes to exhaust header bolts!

I have some antiseze. Ill slap some on there when I install them.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
Copper paste or ceramic smear are my favourites in such cases. Never had under normal circumstances seized bolts. Only if somebody messed with the thread and mounted tilted.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 11:40:45 PM »
Copper paste or ceramic smear are my favourites in such cases. Never had under normal circumstances seized bolts. Only if somebody messed with the thread and mounted tilted.

That's true, and good advice.  The only caution I'd add would be that your scooter exhaust is right down there in the mud and slush, so I prefer using the long acorn nuts whenever possible to try and keep the stud somewhat sanitary. Also you might find that (with a regular nut on a long stud) you might need to buy a deep socket.  The long acorn nuts can be serviced with a normal socket.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:43:07 PM by JJJoseph »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
@JJJ, you right about this nut lengths. Didn't think about that, for I have a whole workshop to my avail.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 04:03:46 AM »
So I encontered a problem and may know why the nut and stud flew off in the first place. I went to install one of the new studs  that was lost and noticed that it wouldnt Fully thred in the hole of the head. I have the correct 8mm stud. My only guess is that it worked its way out somehow and managed to strip the threads on the head. Bought an 8mm rethreading kit off of amazon and am going to attempt rethredding the stripped hole this weeke nd.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 04:06:23 AM »
That's true, and good advice.  The only caution I'd add would be that your scooter exhaust is right down there in the mud and slush, so I prefer using the long acorn nuts whenever possible to try and keep the stud somewhat sanitary. Also you might find that (with a regular nut on a long stud) you might need to buy a deep socket.  The long acorn nuts can be serviced with a normal socket.

I wanted to use long acorn nuts but I cannot find any retailer that sells them in 8mm size, checked Amazon and ebay and looked at my local hardware store and didnt have any luck.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()