Author Topic: Lubricate Throttle Grip  (Read 2180 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Lubricate Throttle Grip
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:11:25 AM »
My throttle grip grabs a little and I want to lubricate it. At the end of the grip there's a rounded knob which has an inset for what looks like a large hex wrench. Is this right? Does a large hex wrench allow you to take that knob off? Does it keep the throttle grip on the handlebar?

I'm trying to decide if the best way to lubricate the grip is to shoot some silicone under the grip (between the grip and knob) without removing anything or to remove the grip and then lubricate.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Lubricate Throttle Grip
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
@Vision, this hex bolt is 6mm size and taken off, will remove your handlebar weight. Doing this, you will be able to spray some silicone lube beneath your throttle grip. With this weight off, check first whether its really your grip which is rough. Could be your cable too. Put a drop of some blue blocker on this bolt again.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Thanks Ruffus. What does the handlebar weight do?

By blue blocker are you referring to loctite?

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »
Vision - Ruffus has a good thought...it may really be your throttle cable that is sticking. Your rubber grip slides onto the plastic tube that is your throttle. The plastic throttle tube slides onto your scoots metal handlebar.

the bar end weights are there to help dampen vibrations. You can buy heavier or lighter bar end weights if needed to address certain vibration issues.

Your throttle tube could be sticky..if you're going to lube that be sure you're shooting the lube between the metal handlebar and the plastic throttle tube (not just between the rubber grip and plastic throttle tube).

Lubing your throttle cable does involve some minor disassembly to get to the cable ends that attach to your grip but it is a worthwhile investment in time. It can be a good excuse to buy some new tools, too..like the Motion Pro cable luber.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:48:19 PM »
@ hawk, good write up.
@Vision,
If you really feel the cable sticking in a way, don't remove the cables lining. Take the throttle assambly off your handlebar, free the cable from assambly and lubricate your cable until oil, WD 40 or whatever you spray, exits down at your carb or inj.unit. Still no smooth gliding of your cable?
 Ok, then change the cable inclusive cover by connecting the "old" cable/cover and pull the "new" cable/cover towards carb. So you need not to fiddle under plastics and other hindrances. Slow pulling and good connection between old and new is the way to success.
Yes, LOCTITE.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:59:41 PM by Ruffus »

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:16:28 PM »
I wanted to add some style to my scoot. I ended up using an appropriate sized hex key and a drill driver and ended up removing the caps. Ended up purchacing two handlebar end weights to replace the caps.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:39:28 PM »
I wanted to add some style to my scoot. I ended up using an appropriate sized hex key and a drill driver and ended up removing the caps. Ended up purchacing two handlebar end weights to replace the caps.
Pictures....?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
@Ruffus. My throttle grip end cap is bigger than 6mm, tried it and it's too small. Maybe 8mm is needed.

Anybody know?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »
@Vision, sorry...checked again on both of my scoots
(LIKE and  GRAND DINK) it's im my case a 6mm inbus Lkey to be used. The bolt itself is a 8mm tread.
Maybe some former owner tried to unscrew with an inadequate tool.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
I finally got silicone to come out the other end of the cable. One thing that may have helped was loosening the nut above the brake line conduit which allows for better access to the cable housing opening.

It was concerning that using a paper towel around the opening to increase the pressure of the lube ended up sending some up the cable/conduit which then leaked out of the plastic area containing the starter switch and kill button. Oh well. 

Thanks All. May still look for the 8mm hex to get some silicone around the grip.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »
@Vision, if it's not a 8mm inbus, take a little bit bigger torx socket, drive it in with a hammer, unscrew. Replace bolts with something adequate.

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 12:48:05 AM »
Pictures....?

I really didnt take any pictures when I did the Mod, If you like I can take some photos of the handlebar end weighs i have now.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 09:19:38 PM »
Well, it's not an 8mm hex. Must be 7mm.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 11:43:26 AM »
@Vision, maybe someone replaced those bolts once.
'cause the only 7mm hex bolts/8mm thread I know are used on certain car brake calipers.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 12:50:36 AM »
Well, a 7mm hex doesn't fit, it's a hair too big. So 6, 7, and 8mm don't fit. How can this be? Is there a special tool or something?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()