Author Topic: Air Filter and stuff  (Read 3281 times)

maestromackes

• View Profile
Air Filter and stuff
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »
Hi all,

We're new to the scooter world and recently purchased a 2005 Kymco People 50. The previous owner says it has been derestricted, and as you probably all know, it is a 2T. I was poking around the scooter trying to locate the different parts and just to take a good look around things. First, I found two rubber hoses (one appears to have been cut) that are disconnected from whatever. I have no idea what they are supposed to hook onto, or if that was part of the derestricting. Anyway, I opened the air filter housing and noticed some sand in the box and that the air filter was bone dry. Should the air filter be dry, or is it supposed to be damp with oil? The manual I found online said to clean the air filter in solvent or oil detergent (which I have no idea what that is exactly, but it says not to use gasoline), and then to soak it in oil, squeeze out excess oil, then replace. Can someone tell me if I need a new air filter, or should I clean it and re-soak it in oil?

Thank you all! We love the scooter!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:39:12 PM by maestromackes »

axy

• View Profile
Re: Air Filter and stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
Hi all,

We're new to the scooter world and recently purchased a 2005 Kymco People 50. The previous owner says it has been derestricted, and as you probably all know, it is a 2T. I was poking around the scooter trying to locate the different parts and just to take a good look around things. First, I found two rubber hoses (one appears to have been cut) that are disconnected from whatever. I have no idea what they are supposed to hook onto, or if that was part of the derestricting. Anyway, I opened the air filter housing and noticed some sand in the box and that the air filter was bone dry. Should the air filter be dry, or is it supposed to be damp with oil? The manual I found online said to clean the air filter in solvent or oil detergent (which I have no idea what that is exactly, but it says not to use gasoline), and then to soak it in oil, squeeze out excess oil, then replace. Can someone tell me if I need a new air filter, or should I clean it and re-soak it in oil?

Thank you all! We love the scooter!

For the hoses, look it up in diagram on Yamaha Stadium web site for People 50.
For the filter, if it is dry, nothing special will happen. If the filter is "sponge element", you can soak it in half an inch of gasoline, wash it in a lot of detergent, let it dry (or put it on the heating element of the stove just lightly warmed up - or dry it with hair dryer) and then lube it a bit with any motor oil if you do not have air filter oil. I used to do that when I had sponge air filter in my Piaggios. Both Kymcos I drive have paper element filters though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:52:02 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

maestromackes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »
Well, I think I solved the mystery of the black tubes. The really small one appears to be just a drain for gas overflow...the other one I guess is the preheater hose or whatever that redirects warm air over the carburetor, but we don't have a boot on the carburetor so I guess I will either pull the hose off, or let it continue to dangle. As for my filter, yes it is a foam type filter. Do I wash it in detergent (like dish soap, or laundry soap), or is there something special I should by to wash it in. It looks like it could use a cleaning.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
Do I wash it in detergent (like dish soap, or laundry soap)

..yeah, that would work..just handle it with care..

..older foam filters will tend to begin to fall apart, especially around the edges, and the two foam pieces will become detached from each other...

..oh, and Welcome to th' Forum!!..

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
Well, I think I solved the mystery of the black tubes. The really small one appears to be just a drain for gas overflow...the other one I guess is the preheater hose or whatever that redirects warm air over the carburetor, but we don't have a boot on the carburetor so I guess I will either pull the hose off, or let it continue to dangle. As for my filter, yes it is a foam type filter. Do I wash it in detergent (like dish soap, or laundry soap), or is there something special I should by to wash it in. It looks like it could use a cleaning.

I used to wash them in gasoline and then use regular bar-soap. Works like a charm.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

szro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:42 PM »
Hi!

I'm new on this forum.  I Purchased a People 50 T2. I checked the air filter, and I saw that's a sponge. How thick should be the foam, the current is 15 mm (0.6 inch).

Thank you in advance for answers.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:18:44 AM »
Hi!

I'm new on this forum.  I Purchased a People 50 T2. I checked the air filter, and I saw that's a sponge. How thick should be the foam, the current is 15 mm (0.6 inch).

Thank you in advance for answers.

..well, welcome to the forum, aannnd i have a new ppl filter insert that i'll take a pic of for y...

...tomorrow...lol..

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
"you can soak it in half an inch of gasoline,"
"let it dry (or put it on the heating element of the stove just lightly warmed up - or dry it with hair dryer) "

But ONLY do this if you really can't stand that Be-Atch of a wife any longer.

I Paraphrase of course but the point remains...   NO NO NO NOL NIOOP<NUOL<KI!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:31:40 AM »
Dawn Dish Soap. It works...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()