Author Topic: AK550 handle replacement  (Read 811 times)

ktienation

• View Profile
AK550 handle replacement
« on: September 19, 2022, 09:10:16 AM »
Hi Guys,

Have anybody replaced themselves the steering handles or just steering handles grips? My "non throttle" handle is extreamly worn out (heat wires exposed) and I need to replace it. The throttle grip is ok.

Is it possible to replace just the grips, or do I need to replace complete handle? Has anybody a manual for this / youtube video? Unfortunatelly Kymco's service manual says nothing about this procedure:(

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 handle replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 02:34:29 PM »
I do know that just the grips are available separately.
Some parts are available at Taiwan Big Scooter Shop.
Here is the link to the AK 550 section there: https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550

And here is the link to the grips:
https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collections/ak550/products/kymco-oem-handle-grip-ak550?variant=28407607001187

If you have a good Kymco dealer in the area they should be able to order one for you and maybe even ship it to you.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 06:02:16 PM »
First have proper replacement grips on hand---I think your bike has 7/8 bars, grips come in at least 2 lengths---I use gasoline to lube grips to slide them on, hairspray works the same----Grips usually last 50,000 miles or so----does your new bike have that many miles already?

Getting old grips off---simply cut them off----compressed air on hand somepeople blow them off

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 06:20:53 PM »
First have proper replacement grips on hand---I think your bike has 7/8 bars, grips come in at least 2 lengths---I use gasoline to lube grips to slide them on, hairspray works the same----Grips usually last 50,000 miles or so----does your new bike have that many miles already?

Getting old grips off---simply cut them off----compressed air on hand somepeople blow them off

That's good advise ONLY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RETAIN THE HEATED GRIPS FUNCTION of the stock setup. The stock grips have the heated elements as an integrated part of the grips. Not a separate film that goes under the grips. The link I provided above is for the stock grips that includes the cable and plug that comes out of the grips for the heated grips functionality. Cutting off the old grips is OK but take care putting on the new grips if you get the stock grips making sure to feed the wire through the bar as is original installation (that's the tricky part).

BTW- I put almost 50,000 miles on my CTX1300 and those grips were nowhere near worn out. Looked just a little worn but closer to new than worn out. Of course, how you grip the grips makes a difference. I don't ever use a death grip on my grips. Saves the hands from pain later on and the grips last longer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:23:08 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 07:57:20 PM »
My scoot has about 6k miles on the odo. The handle’s rubber was probably mechanically damaged somehow (I already bought it like that) - the throttle grip is in good shape). Therefore I want original or an OEM replacement. Probably I will just buy it from the importer in my city, but I would rather replace it myself than pay for the service, as I like doing such stuff and have some experience.

I would just appreciate some “walkthrough” not to mess something up.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »
My scoot has about 6k miles on the odo. The handle’s rubber was probably mechanically damaged somehow (I already bought it like that) - the throttle grip is in good shape). Therefore I want original or an OEM replacement. Probably I will just buy it from the importer in my city, but I would rather replace it myself than pay for the service, as I like doing such stuff and have some experience.

I would just appreciate some “walkthrough” not to mess something up.

I haven't seen any walk through for installation. But when I tackle things like this I simply pay real close attention to how it is assembled as I take it apart and attempt to reverse what I find to put it back together. I know not everyone can do well doing that.

You do need to remove the handlebar cover to expose how the heated grips wires run into and out of the holes in the bars. I think the plug is located toward the center of the bars.

I think the service manual does show how to remove the bar covers.
I have had the bar covers off before when I wanted to adjust the rear brake reservoir clamp to line up more even with the front brake reservoir. The center plate with the AK logo comes off first and there is a bolt under that. There are screws on each side of the bar covers and then the upper and lower covers snap apart (tabs).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:26:18 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 01:54:08 AM »
You should be able to find some YouTube videos on removing/replacing grips. I know there are some for the Burgman which should work fine for your AK. Micbersma and Well Aged Adventurer (sp?) are 2 posters that I have seen. The only difference should be the heated grip on the AK that is not on the Burger.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()