Author Topic: this one's for you Crossbolts :-)  (Read 180 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
this one's for you Crossbolts :-)
« on: February 02, 2024, 06:03:30 PM »
thought you'd enjoy the planes!

Pretty sure it was the C-130's that I flew in a couple of times when transiting between Phu Bai, Da Nang and Pleiku during my "Christmas-time Circus" in Vietnam. ("you're getting an early-out Stig", well no I wasn't - typical Army SNAFU - but I had fun flying around the country with no orders trying to get back to the 71st Evac!) Phu Bai to Da Nang hopped a 02:00 hours flight with the graves registration boys and a few silent others.
The plane was loud, and cold! Some of those little round windows were missing plexi.

Those Globemasters fly over our house a few times each month. Men getting their flight hours in I think. Like my father used to have to do, every month for 30 yrs.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:09:46 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: this one's for you Crossbolts :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 10:59:03 PM »
thought you'd enjoy the planes!

Pretty sure it was the C-130's that I flew in a couple of times when transiting between Phu Bai, Da Nang and Pleiku during my "Christmas-time Circus" in Vietnam. ("you're getting an early-out Stig", well no I wasn't - typical Army SNAFU - but I had fun flying around the country with no orders trying to get back to the 71st Evac!) Phu Bai to Da Nang hopped a 02:00 hours flight with the graves registration boys and a few silent others.
The plane was loud, and cold! Some of those little round windows were missing plexi.

Those Globemasters fly over our house a few times each month. Men getting their flight hours in I think. Like my father used to have to do, every month for 30 yrs.
Stig
Enjoying this, Stig! Thanks!
Fat Albert boys just as precise as the Blue Angel flyers but different envelope. Turbo props on an empty airplane can be spectacular! Steep climb, very steep descent, very short take off and landing rolls. Plus an onboard crapper and a galley!

Yeah, you were in a C-130, the trash hauler limo. My ride one time was with about three other service men, a jet engine in a can and about four tons of toilet paper all headed to Clark AFB in the PI. Cold, noisy, drafty below 10 grand and did I mention noisy?

Did you know the Blue Angel aircraft are the fleet high-time (run-out) ships? These are the ones with the most cat launches and the most arrested landings. These would be dangerous to fly in the fleet. They clean 'em up and paint them up and plug the leaks!

Thanks again and hand salute to the sharp Marines! HOO-RAH!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()