Author Topic: Scooter dies when given throttle  (Read 1132 times)

jesse121pm

• View Profile
Scooter dies when given throttle
« on: June 08, 2022, 12:49:52 AM »
my 2009 people 150 is stalling when giving it throttle. It has a new carbourator, spark plug, and oil. I think it it might be the petcock but I want to replace it with a fuel shutoff valve. The problem is is that my gas tank is not threaded to fit a normal screw in style petcock. What should I do?

jesse121pm

• View Profile
Re: Scooter dies when given throttle
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 01:01:20 AM »
my 2009 people 150 is stalling when giving it throttle. It has a new carbourator, spark plug, and oil. I think it it might be the petcock but I want to replace it with a fuel shutoff valve. The problem is is that my gas tank is not threaded to fit a normal screw in style petcock. What should I do?

also there are some lines that are not connected i will post pictures below.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »
a motor that dies when first given throttle is usually a clogged pilot jet. The passage is not much larger than a human hair (slight exaggeration) and easily clogs when the scoot isn't regularly ridden.

Not sure which unhooked lines you're asking about? The easy one I see is the fuel fill overflow hose that runs from your gas cap to somewhere under the scoot. That is supposed to drain under the scoot, but it doesn't connect to anything else.

Any other lines you're concerned with?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

jesse121pm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 01:03:25 AM »
a motor that dies when first given throttle is usually a clogged pilot jet. The passage is not much larger than a human hair (slight exaggeration) and easily clogs when the scoot isn't regularly ridden.

Not sure which unhooked lines you're asking about? The easy one I see is the fuel fill overflow hose that runs from your gas cap to somewhere under the scoot. That is supposed to drain under the scoot, but it doesn't connect to anything else.

Any other lines you're concerned with?
where would the piolot jet be located on my scooter?

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
your pilot jet is underneath the carb, inside the carb bowl area. You'll need to remove (or at least unhook from airbox and intake and flip over)
your carb, remove the 4 screws holding on the carb bowl and your pilot and main jets will be visible. I've circled the place where the 2 jets go in my pic and also circled the pilot jet off to the side in the white lid. (the jets are removed by unscrewing them with a slotted screwdriver, be careful, the jets are made of soft brass)

Tons of videos on cleaning carbs on youtube. Search 'cleaning GY6 carb' and you'll get lots of hits.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 03:47:53 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 08:35:47 PM »
I forget - why did we remove the stock carb - rather than refurbing it?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()