Author Topic: Help me troubleshoot my No-Start  (Read 4814 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me troubleshoot my No-Start
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
Sounds like the valve floated and made contact with the piston possibly due to over rev.

Very interesting theory. I’ve never heard about anything like that. I guess this would only be possible if something came loose during over- revving ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »
"Valve float" historically a problem with single springs, cured by double and triple springs, cam profiles and desmodromic valve trains like Ducati. Honda solved the problem with carefully tested (cut and try) spring rates and a little math. Other causes of valves open when should be closed are sticking and keepers popping out. Usually related to poor maintenance. Also usually damages piston.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
"Valve float" historically a problem with single springs, cured by double and triple springs, cam profiles and desmodromic valve trains like Ducati. Honda solved the problem with carefully tested (cut and try) spring rates and a little math. Other causes of valves open when should be closed are sticking and keepers popping out. Usually related to poor maintenance. Also usually damages piston.

Thanks ! I never over-rev anything - so I did not know this can cause problems.

To my understanding there are a few hard-riders on this forum. It might be worthwhile knowing whether over-revving was causing a problem in this case. Maybe all of us should be aware of a potential problem.....
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

JayPortland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:15 PM »
Update.  I ordered a replacement valve.  I'll try to install it over the weekend.

2009 Kymco People 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()