Author Topic: 2009 150 Start Failure  (Read 1482 times)

Tw

• View Profile
2009 150 Start Failure
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
About a month ago, my 2009 People 150 had its battery stolen by someone who cut off the wires to get the battery out. Last week I got the scooter going with a new battery, replaced positive wire and patched negative wire, and a new solenoid. (I stripped a screw off the old
solenoid getting the old positive wire off.)

With the new battery, the scooter started up fine right away. But accelerating was jumpy--it bogged down, coughed, faltered, whatever the right word is--when applying throttle at 10 mph or so. The throttle was smooth below that 10 mph point. Keeping the throttle open got it past the balkiness, and once I got it up to about 25 mph the scooter was fine. And, driving it for 5+ miles reduced the balkiness, almost to the point of the scooter driving normally.

On Friday I drove the scooter three times. Still no problems starting it, there was just the continued balkiness problem when accelerating. About 10 minutes after the last trip, I tried to start it again, and nothing happened. No cranking, no sound at all. 

The past couple days, I've been trying to figure out the problem. I checked on the negative wire that goes from the battery to the engine ground, saw the wire had fallen off its screw at the engine ground point, and put it back on, hoping that was the fix. It wasn't: the electric starter still did nothing. I also tried out the kick start to see if that changed things, but again, the engine did not respond to that at all.

The brake light and turn lights on the People 150 still work when the key's in the ignition position, as does the fuel gauge, and flicking the high beam switch on gets the headlight working. So, the battery and the new/patched wires from it are not the problem. My situation sounds almost exactly like what was described in this thread, https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11198.msg113055#msg113055, back in 2014, except that my kick starting doesn't help things.

Is this a CDI failure?

The scooter has had occasional starting and running problems since I bought it in May 2019. It has about 7,000 miles, and I'm the third owner. Have put about 2,200 miles on it. I'd rather sell it now, as is, as a parts scooter or to someone who'll fix it, and buy another vehicle than spend another couple hundred dollars getting the current problem fixed, then have another problem come up in a few months. I've already been told it needs a new rear tire. I'm in a city that has a Kymco dealership and a couple nearby scooter repair shops, but would have to get the People 150 towed to the dealership for them to work on it.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 150 Start Failure
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »
The way I read your text is:
1. The starter will not spin the engine at all and
2. Kick start will spin the engine but the engine will not fire and run.
Is this correct?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Tw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
The way I read your text is:
1. The starter will not spin the engine at all and
2. Kick start will spin the engine but the engine will not fire and run.
Is this correct?

I get the same lack of engine response from the electric starter and the kick starter. Nothing happens--no sound, the engine doesn't spin. Yesterday, momentarily touching the two solenoid screws with a wrench by accident did produce a noise that I believe was the engine spinning.

By the way, I've visited here for quite a while without registering, and appreciate what I've learned from the forums. This is my first scooter.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:45:08 AM »
Stupid question - have you checked the fuses and made sure the contacts at the fuses are good ?

My Agility gave a similar problem twice. The first time afuse was blown and the second time a fuse  did not make proper contact at the terminals.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Tw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:50:02 PM »
Stupid question - have you checked the fuses and made sure the contacts at the fuses are good ?

My Agility gave a similar problem twice. The first time afuse was blown and the second time a fuse  did not make proper contact at the terminals.

The two fuses in the little box in the front panel below the handlebars look good. I haven't gotten the front panel off yet. Is the CDI in there, behind the panel?

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:58:25 AM »
The Agilty’s CDI is next to the battery box inside the floor panel. I have no idea where the CDI is on your model.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
here's a link to Parts Outlaws's parts drawings for your scoot..on my People S200 the CDI and other electrical components are behind the front cover, under the headlight..

https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/l/kym/5b50e8c687a866110c2e08e3/people-150-ba30aa-parts
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Tw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
The 150 got sent to the local dealer. Apparently the solenoid that I put in was the problem. It was probably faulty, and I suppose that's why the balky acceleration was happening. I hope it's that simple. The dealer says he has fixed the 150, and will get a new rear tire on it, and I'd then go get it in the next couple days.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »
Please explain how a faulty solenoid causes balky acceleration.

I am assuming solenoid means starter relay.
Balky acceleration means it kind of goes in jerks when coming up to speed, right?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Tw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 03:27:56 AM »
It's more like accelerating was difficult in the band from roughly 10 mph to 20 mph. The engine was bogging down in that band. It was resisting; you had to work to keep the throttle open wide and power the scooter past that band.  The bogginess diminished once you drove the 150 a few miles, but I only did that a couple times before the thing quit.

The conclusion at this point is that I got the scooter back on Saturday, with the new solenoid (and a new rear tire), and the 150 has run well the three times I've driven it. Fast starts, robust idle, easy acceleration, and it seems to have more power than before.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()