Author Topic: Oil Dipstick Question  (Read 1943 times)

yodaismycopilot

• View Profile
Oil Dipstick Question
« on: August 30, 2020, 06:36:05 AM »
Does anyone happen to know how much the oil is low if it has nearly disappeared from the dipstick (i.e. that sort of scored-looking portion). In my car it would have been 1 quart. But I have no idea what it means on the Kymco People 150 dipstick.

Also, I bought a People 150 with just 1160 miles on it last month. I changed the oil almost immediately and have put about 250 miles on it. I just checked the oil and it's almost off of the dipstick! How could my scoot with hardly any miles on it be blowing through that much oil in that few miles?   

Thank you!

UPDATE: Looks like most of the apparent oil loss was because I measured the oil while the bike was on the side stand rather than the center stand (Is the center stand the right orientation for accurately measuring the oil?)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:23:21 AM by yodaismycopilot »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Dipstick Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »
MUST be on center stand for checking oil! Must be level, for and aft, side to side or at least in the same attitude for each check.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
centerstand puts my scoot off level...usually tipping forward. I would think the most accurate measurement would be not on centerstand or sidestand, but held level and measured, the way you do on a motorcycle.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »
centerstand puts my scoot off level...usually tipping forward. I would think the most accurate measurement would be not on centerstand or sidestand, but held level and measured, the way you do on a motorcycle.
No, not on most scooters - which are designed to give an accurate oil dip stick reading when on the center stand.
The Burgman has an oil window....which is a miserable way of checking oil. You kneel in a puddle at the highway rest stop and hold the 489lb scooter level with one hand and try to look in the window. Some riders stay in the saddle and use mirror sticks, some use trained monkeys.
Give me a center stand and a 50 cent dipstick any day.
Walk up to your scoot, remove the stick and look at it. Before or after every ride.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:04:06 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »
Stig and Crossbolt, thank you for clearing that up....makes sense as checking it on the centerstand is actually the only way I've ever done it, too.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 10:04:04 PM »
Well, I'll tell ya, pilgrim, I would definitely figger out an alternative to the Burg nonsense real fast! I gotta use a mirror on my UXV500i 'cause of that stupid sightglass!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 05:19:42 AM »
My manual sez to unscrew the dipstick (while on the center-stand), wipe it off, and insert it into the hole gently.  Don't screw it back in.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »
@Stig
....some riders stay in the saddle and use mirror sticks, some use trained monkeys.
 ;D Ha ha, good point.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

lbmcconnell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 03:16:44 PM »
I would just like to point out that with and scooter on center stand the rear axle will drop a little due to no pressure from the weight on the rest.  this will then put the motor in the proper alignment with the ground. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()