Author Topic: changing the transmission oil  (Read 1903 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
changing the transmission oil
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
I changed the gear oil last night per the maintenance schedule ( 3000 miles)  it was very difficult getting the oil in----the filler hole is sort of horizontally positioned--so I ended up squeezing the plastic cap into the hole, holding a narrow funnell on top, and then pouring in the oil. I had to wait for the oil to go in, then pour a little more--little by little--it took me an hour! There;s got to be an easier way to do this?

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
Re: changing the transmission oil
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
Yes, it is a very awkward design. I ended up measuring the correct amount of drive oil in a large syringe and squiring it in. Kymco could have made it much easier.
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
where can I get a syringe like that?  -it sounds like a pretty good idea. I was gonna use the nose suction ball that we got for my son when he was born--but I couldn't find it....

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
  walmart   kitchen dept.  can openers etc.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
Actually, I found my syringe on Walmart's web site - "MixMizer" it's called. Cost a couple bucks....it is sold as a 2 cycle motor oil mix tool.I think I filled it 3 times to get my correct amount of gear oil in that little sideways hole! Comes with a small tube to put on the tip of the syringe.
Paid for it with paypal and then picked it up at the store the next afternoon - at their .com desk. It may be on the shelf in the automotive section - because I could NOT find a syringe of any kind any place else in the store!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
I use clear ketchup/mustard bottles

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
I changed the gear oil last night per the maintenance schedule ( 3000 miles)  it was very difficult getting the oil in----the filler hole is sort of horizontally positioned--so I ended up squeezing the plastic cap into the hole, holding a narrow funnell on top, and then pouring in the oil. I had to wait for the oil to go in, then pour a little more--little by little--it took me an hour! There;s got to be an easier way to do this?
Just curious, was that the first change for you? I'm in the process of doing my first oil change and transmission change and my manual says to replace both at 600 miles. Glad you posted this thread so I can use one of these methods.

Stanley1950

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:17 AM »
You can also use an oil squirt can. They are inexpensive and very easy to use. Just need to measure  the amount of oil needed. I use a plastic measure cup, both from Walmart.
2013 Black GT300I
Puig windshield
Dr. Pulley sliders
Denso Iridium plug
SHAD SH40 topcase

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Update- Iusd a clear ketchup/mustard bottle from walmart--works GREAT!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()