Author Topic: Dealership Fees - Kymco Like 150I  (Read 535 times)

shyy

• View Profile
Dealership Fees - Kymco Like 150I
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
Hey guys,

I went to a local scooter store and was quoted the following fees for a 2018 Like 150I $3,084.00

2018 KYMCO LIKE 150 ABS   $2,199.00
ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION   $195.00
DESTINATION   $195.00
DOCUMENTARY FEE   $100.00
NY STATE INSPECTION   $6.00
REGISTRATION PLATES   $40.00
REGISTRATION (NOT DMV) $149.00
TIRE DISPOSAL   $5.00

Whats the difference between Documentation Fee and Registration? Is this a good price for a new 2018 Like 150?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Dealership Fees - Kymco Like 150I
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
$2200 for the 2nd gen. LIKE, with ABS, seems like a heck of a good price.
The rest of the $ may be absolutely typical for your state.
I certainly would get an OTD quote from the next closest Kymco dealer in your state. Then you'll have a better understanding of the situation.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »
(MMmmmffgghkkktt!!) ¥£&$((&@××+_:;%%!! (cough, cough...wheeze...) Where on earth is this dealer? Stig has the right idea. Listen to him, not me...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
My dealer did not charge me any destination or setup fees when I purchased my 2018 UXV 450 in March. I was able to negotiate the price on the "leftover" unit down to $7,400, and with tax ($444), title and registration fees I was out the door just barely over $8,000, which means total fees on the machine were less than $200, most of which were state-mandated fees. I think the only thing the dealer actually charged was a $50 document fee.

I definitely think it's worth calling a couple other dealers within driving distance, telling them the OTD price you were quoted (you don't even have to name the dealer if you don't want to) and ask them if they could beat it.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

shyy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
thanks, I was told at the dealer that they don't make money off the scooter, the price they get it for is the price they sell it for.  Unfortunately the other dealer doesnt have a 2018 model.  I am now looking into getting a tao tao lancer.  The main reason for the scooter is for me to do food app deliveries.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
I don't think what you experienced is all that out of the ordinary, but it also seems clear to me the dealer is looking to make an extra $500 on the machine. Doesn't matter what they call the fees; they are padding the OTD price. If you've ever used Cycle Trader or ATV Trader, this is pretty common. You will see many dealers advertising machines at very attractive prices but then if you look at the listings, you will see that they say the price does not include "setup or destination fees." Interestingly, some dealers tout the fact that they do NOT charge these fees, essentially selling you the machine for the listed price, plus tax, title and registration. Other dealers, however, seem pretty firm on the idea that these fees are just part of doing business and do not want to negotiate on them. This is where I think a consumer who is willing to do a little homework and haggle can save some money. I emailed and/or talked to a handful of Kawasaki and KYMCO dealers before I purchased my UXV 450, and it was interesting to see the differences from one shop to the next regarding how much difference there was between the advertised prices on some of these side by sides and the actual, OTD price.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
Well, if you're certain you cannot find a much better deal from another Kymco dealer.....

To avoid being really disappointed - DO spend time reading and watching reviews of these TaoTao scooters. Talk to other owners.
Understand the huge drawbacks of owning a 50cc scooter. You'll need 125 of more cc's to keep up with urban, non-highway, traffic.
300cc's or more will let you ride on the highway.

A TaoTao with good dealer support is the best way to go.
Ask about his servicing costs. IF you are really good mechanically, an amazon TaoTao is possible if you're willing to assemble it and change out some of the parts.

Maybe consider buying a lightly used Kymco, Honda, Piaggio, Yamaha, etc., to get the very best reliability.
Buying a used Kymco 150i from a private party will save on dealer expenses.

Educate yourself as much as you can to learn why these Tao's are so inexpensive. Better scooters cost more to make - it is not just dealer mark-up!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 02:36:42 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:23:21 PM by scootertherapy »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()