Author Topic: front wheel removal and tire replacement  (Read 1736 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
front wheel removal and tire replacement
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Recently I checked at my local bike shop about replacing my front tire. It has 13,000 miles on it and is starting to cup. The shop quoted me $150. for a City Grip installed. I thought that was a bit steep. They charged me $150. to replace my rear tire awhile back, which I thought was reasonable because there was more work involved. I ordered, and received the tire from Bike Bandit for $79. The shop said they would charge me $20. to mount and balance my new tire if I brought the tire and wheel to them. Sounds reasonable.
My question is this: when I remove the front wheel, pinch bolt, and axle rod, how do I keep my brake pads from over extending while the wheel is removed?. I watched a video that showed a guy using a flat blade screw driver to spread the brake pads before re installation. Is that all there is to it, or do I have to watch out for something else.
I`m assuming the brake caliber does not have to be removed to remove and replace the front wheel.
Any tips or advice will be appreciated.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: front wheel removal and tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »

Recently I checked at my local bike shop about replacing my front tire. It has 13,000 miles on it and is starting to cup. The shop quoted me $150. for a City Grip installed. I thought that was a bit steep. They charged me $150. to replace my rear tire awhile back, which I thought was reasonable because there was more work involved. I ordered, and received the tire from Bike Bandit for $79. The shop said they would charge me $20. to mount and balance my new tire if I brought the tire and wheel to them. Sounds reasonable.
My question is this: when I remove the front wheel, pinch bolt, and axle rod, how do I keep my brake pads from over extending while the wheel is removed?. I watched a video that showed a guy using a flat blade screw driver to spread the brake pads before re installation. Is that all there is to it, or do I have to watch out for something else.
I`m assuming the brake caliber does not have to be removed to remove and replace the front wheel.
Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

You can remove the caliper if you want, it's not difficult to take off.
 If you don't touch the brake lever it will be easy to put it back on.
If for some reason you do pull the brake you will, as you said,  need to use a flat screwdriver or flat piece of metal to widen the gap between pads.
Agility City 125

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
I eyeball the size of the rotor and just shim the pads usually.
You just need to be close, not perfect for that.  I've used everything from wood to cardboard to a small plastic shim normally used for leveling toilets.
I found the cardboard folded over a couple times to be best.
Of course if they do over extend they're not that tough to put back in place, a bit fussy at times, but not too bad.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

vgrafx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:31 AM »
Does anyone have more detailed instructions on procedure for removing front tire from dt300i
In order to take to shop for mounting and balancing New tire

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
use a large flat  screw driver to pry the caliper back pry slowly as it does not move fast.  after that remove hex bolts ,  I use 2 x 6  stacked to hold front end under the rad. nail them to- gether ,  that will hold the wheel off the floor,. now your wheel can come off ,. hex bolts just loosen rear hex bolt , as all it does is pinch the axel bolt, so it does not move

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 12:06:58 AM »
when I removed my front wheel for tire replacement there was no issue with the caliper..just don't squeeze the brake lever and your wheel and rotor should fit right back in place.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
Stick something into the brakepads gap, fairly tight fitting, whilst wheel is removed, then theres no worry about accidentally pulling the brake lever.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 02:56:46 AM »
You can push the brake caliper pistons back in with your fingers and a bit of effort.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()