Author Topic: The truth about fuel dilution  (Read 966 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
The truth about fuel dilution
« on: May 05, 2021, 05:18:46 AM »
I was just going through my warranty guide and noticed there was a section about oil consumption. We all know it is normal for some oil to be burnt between oil changes. However what interested me was a paragraph which stated that start-stop traffic causes fuel dilution (i.e. contamination of fuel in engine oil). The only way to avoid fuel dilution is to travel at a constant low speed which is impossible 90% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:27:59 PM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: The truth about fuel dilution
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
Reads like they "covered their butts." Have yet to see any significant dilution or consumption or leaks in ANY of the Kymco models we have or had.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
I have never known it to be a issue with gas engines it's called wash down in the Diesel world from idling the motor for long periods of time. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:52:51 PM »
it's becoming more of an issue in the car world with the adoption of the DI (direct injection) turbo motors. Some manufacturers seem to have more problems than others.

For people that do used oil analysis there is a category for fuel dilution..certain motors with extended oil change intervals combined with short tripping can be more or very prone to it.

In the scooter world?  Not an issue that I'm aware of..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »
  I use to hear about that back in the 1940 s., when motors had low compresion now my piaggio B V 350 has 12 to 1 and that was high speed racing just a few years ago,. engines are a lot tighter today , I wonder how high it will be in another 50 years  or will it be electric motors with batterys that will last hundreds of miles, they will get better compression on the Wankel we may have a wankel in our scooters WOW 30,000 RPM motors

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 07:56:32 PM »
it's becoming more of an issue in the car world with the adoption of the DI (direct injection) turbo motors. Some manufacturers seem to have more problems than others.

For people that do used oil analysis there is a category for fuel dilution..certain motors with extended oil change intervals combined with short tripping can be more or very prone to it.

In the scooter world?  Not an issue that I'm aware of..
I'm aware of carbon build-up on the intake valves with DI. I know some manufacturers have added another injector on the intake to help alleviate carbon buildup.  Is this adding to fuel wash down in DI motors?  Did not know it was a issue.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:14 PM »
What a crock!
2009 GV 250

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 12:10:00 PM »
Fuel dilution is a real thing. My 2018 Mitsubishi is awaiting a new engine (warranty replacement) because of this.  The engine began making a ticking noise and dealer diagnosis was "cylinder scoring due to overfueling of the engine."  The fueling system poured too much gas into the cylinders, which diluted the oil, and caused the scoring of the cylinders. No warning lights and the engine still ran fine.

Having said this, I doubt this would ever be a problem on our small engined scooters. They are designed for stop and go - short distance travel and it looks like Kymco is just playing CYA on this one. Unless they know something we don't.
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
Fuel dilution is a real thing. My 2018 Mitsubishi is awaiting a new engine (warranty replacement) because of this.  The engine began making a ticking noise and dealer diagnosis was "cylinder scoring due to overfueling of the engine."  The fueling system poured too much gas into the cylinders, which diluted the oil, and caused the scoring of the cylinders. No warning lights and the engine still ran fine.

Having said this, I doubt this would ever be a problem on our small engined scooters. They are designed for stop and go - short distance travel and it looks like Kymco is just playing CYA on this one. Unless they know something we don't.
I'm curious how over fueling occured? When the computer detected the rich mixture it should have  cut back on fuel or thrown a code. The computer should keep the optimum fuel mixture on a injected motor.  I take it was a failed injector?

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 04:06:55 AM »
What model and engine is this?  Can't even get close without knowing what it is.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 05:02:38 AM »
What model and engine is this?  Can't even get close without knowing what it is.

Kymco Downtown 350i
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »
I'm curious how over fueling occured? When the computer detected the rich mixture it should have  cut back on fuel or thrown a code. The computer should keep the optimum fuel mixture on a injected motor.  I take it was a failed injector?

The dealer has not gone into details,  but there were no warning lights or check engine warnings the entire time.  I found a TSB from 2014-15 Mitsubishi Mirages dealing with the same problem saying they would re-flash the computer and if that didn't  work....replace the engine. So all I really know is that's a fueling issue, and the end result is a destoyed engine.
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 07:31:41 PM »
Local guy had Kawasaki side-by-side Mule or something and that thing had a TERRIBLE problem with fuel dilution of lube oil. In the shop 20+ miles away about 4 times. Owner finally dumped it back on the dealer and took home a Polaris.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »
Local guy had Kawasaki side-by-side Mule or something and that thing had a TERRIBLE problem with fuel dilution of lube oil. In the shop 20+ miles away about 4 times. Owner finally dumped it back on the dealer and took home a Polaris.
Was it the gas or Diesel mule? I owned a Diesel mule without issues, other the slow as molasses.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 01:10:46 AM »
Was it the gas or Diesel mule? I owned a Diesel mule without issues, other the slow as molasses.
Gas. They even changed the engine and the new one had the same problem!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()