Author Topic: Why did KYMCO stop making/selling the 500i?  (Read 2680 times)

Draco

• View Profile
Why did KYMCO stop making/selling the 500i?
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:33:08 AM »
I just looked on KYMCO's website (the USA website) and the largest scooter made/sold now is the XCiting 400i.  Why did they drop the 500i?  Poor sales?  Problems?
2015 Like 200i

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Why did KYMCO stop making/selling the 500i?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
The 500 has the notorious cold start issue. And many have had the exhaust cam wearing out prematurely. Apart from the above, I suppose low sales due to the lower fuel price not driving people to look for more economical means of transportation, even though the xc500 was well priced for its cc capacity, a more powerful bike can be aquired for the same amount of cash. This analysis  and opinion piece is based on my ownership, and perusing of this forum over the years.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:55:06 AM »
Also, if you're planning to introduce a bike that is 100lbs lighter and has the same engine power, for the same price, you might want to discontinue the bike and give the old ones a chance at clearing out.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
Also, if you're planning to introduce a bike that is 100lbs lighter and has the same engine power, for the same price, you might want to discontinue the bike and give the old ones a chance at clearing out.

Bingo.
That’s why most good dealers sold out the old 300 before bringing in the Xtown. Far less $$$ for the x.
Of course on the 300s they are less scoot for less money.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Because the idiot importers after several years finally started to import the 400i? :-*

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
I have owned a 2008 Kymko 500i scooter since 2009 and have never experienced any starting problems in the 9 years I have owned it.
I did replace the battery the second year of ownership and installed a sidecar that same season and I live in the north (Canada) in the Toronto area.
I generally ride until the end of October then winterize it and store for the winter in my garage. I do keep it plugged into a Deltran battery charger when
I am not riding so that may help eliminate the starting problem that I hear about on the scooter forums I am connected with.

I usually ride weekends with my wife in the side car to tour numerous backroads in southern Ontario.
You could say I love my Kymko 500i scooter which has been problem free for the past 9 years.

Tom Moy
Mississauga ON

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »
I have owned a 2008 Kymko 500i scooter since 2009 and have never experienced any starting problems in the 9 years I have owned it.
I did replace the battery the second year of ownership and installed a sidecar that same season and I live in the north (Canada) in the Toronto area.
I generally ride until the end of October then winterize it and store for the winter in my garage. I do keep it plugged into a Deltran battery charger when
I am not riding so that may help eliminate the starting problem that I hear about on the scooter forums I am connected with.

I usually ride weekends with my wife in the side car to tour numerous backroads in southern Ontario.
You could say I love my Kymko 500i scooter which has been problem free for the past 9 years.

Tom Moy
Mississauga ON
We knew there had to be some running well out there! Squeaky wheel gets attention on forums....
That scooter had to be working for some.
Good for you!
Thanks for your post.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 04:33:29 AM »
I am very pleased to read a happy story about the xc500. Many more good rides for your future, sir.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

bbfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »

Tom Moy
Mississauga ON
Tom, great photos!  I love that sidecar setup also!  What brand is that?  I am only 1 month into Kymco ownership on my X-Town 300 and for the price I definitely made the right choice.

They don't sell anything larger than 300 cc right now in Florida but at $4k the X-Town is  a winner. 

So are there are any other goodies you have on your Grand Tourer ??

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
Have you got the AK550 in the US yet? That would be the replacement, I guess :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

bbfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Have you got the AK550 in the US yet? That would be the replacement, I guess :)
Not yet, and my dealer doesn't know if or when they will bring it here.  I have too many young kids at home so I have no plans for LD riding.  The 300 is great across town.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()